What discipline works best for you?

what techniques do you use?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 9 yo has a chart with baseballs (or smileys) and strikes (frowny for the 3 year old) if they get three strikes they lose a privelege, treat or cartoon time. With my eldest he will lose travel time (or specific route) and my 3 year old will lose a favorite toy. Timeouts didn't work for me. I find redirection and lots of reminders helpful like "remember, we're going to such and such if we do this". It really makes a difference with my two.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• time outs... when done right. No yelling, remain calm, one warning, then it's time out (unless it's a repeat offense then it's immediate time out).. set the timer a minute per age..
    when done allow them to apologize, and then give them a hug.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• When my kids are being naughty they get - Warning, Warning, Consequence. Example - kids fighting- I break it up , hear each side and give them both a warning and separate them. IF they do it again they get a 2nd warning and a lecture, and IF they still keep it going it is consequence time. For my older 2 kids I take away computer/video games for the day. My younger one gets a time out. After they get handed the consequence I to sit them down (separately) and talk to them about what happened and why they got the consequence.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2011