Inducing?

I have read so many postings as to people refusing induction during their pregnancy, but I have yet to hear as to why???

JohnsonFamily5

Asked by JohnsonFamily5 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If there are no medical reasons, why take the risk? If you are inducing for convenience or comfort level then the risks outweigh the benefits. Not something I was willing to do.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Unless there is a medical reason to induce, I don't understand why anyone would. I had to be induced at 38.5 weeks because of preeclampsia and ended up with everything I didn't want: a urinary catheter, a uterine catheter to measure the contractions in addition to the external fetal moniter, and an epidural. So much for the natural childbirth I'd planned on!
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 9:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• i was enduced bc of high blood pressure and it was very painful when the poticin kicked in..i do not want to go threw it again if i do not have to..im hopeing my body will go naturally
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Mainly any medical intervention can lead to another.. induction is just a first step in the many of interventions you will probably deal with if you accept it. Your body will tell you when it's ready to birth so, why have a medical person decide for you? Now, if it's for medical reason such as birth weight, preeclampsia etc.. then sure, try it in lieu of a C-section right away. Otherwise, if you induce and don't progress.. then the medical team will continue to make sure you have the baby with in a predetermined amt of time and C-Section could be the result...
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Some people are dead set against drugs. I had to be induced, there was no way around it. In my opinion and from everyone I talked to it is more painful if they induce as well since your body wasn't ready.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 8:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I had to be induced and I had no problems. It wasnt painful either.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 8:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I was induced twice. They were both horrible experiences. My and my babies blood pressure went up and down like crazy. I passed out once because my blood pressure dropped so low once I got on the epi after being induced. Both would have been c-sections if I didn't have my midwife. The doc was called in and I was prepped with both. So I refused it with my third and it was WAY faster and MUCH safer!
    MandyP27

Answer by MandyP27 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Health and safety are the priority for most women.
    Inducing is very risky and doesn't always respect that priority.

When it is, we want to refuse all unnecessary risks (unnecessary interventions).

Are you wondering more specifically about the risks that come with inducing?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I was just curious because I have read so many posts about women refusing to get induced, but no one ever really said why. This is my second pregnancy, my first was a set of twins and my OB had offered to either induce me or me have a c-section cause I started dialating at 6 months with my girls. I chose c-section only because I knew nothing of labor and I knew that I didn't want to squeeze out 2 7lbs babies, but that c-section was a nightmare all in itself. With this pregnancy, I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and my OB said that if I don't go into labor on my own by 37 weeks (2 weeks from now) that I will have to be induced or go in for another c-section so I just needed to know why everyone was opting out of inducement from their doctors. I now know I want to avoid medical inducing and I want to avoid another c-section due to my sons size. ( And I know he's very big cause of how he feels when he moves).
    JohnsonFamily5

Comment by JohnsonFamily5 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2011