What would you do?

I went to my friend's house for the first time, and was floored by what I saw. Her house is nasty dirty. I can understand having a little stuff (toys, blankets) laying around, but there were dog poop, moldy food and trash, just everywhere. The kitchen floor had dog poop smashed into the floor. She wanted me to come in a fix her computer, but the only thing I could think of was cleaning her house. After about 20 min's I asked her nephew to bring me a broom and the trash can. I'm I wrong for what I did? I wasn't trying to make her feel bad, but I can't sit with filth around me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• My mom use to have a friend like that. Crap everywhere, toys, trash, food. It was horrible. My mom would help her clean all the time, and a few days later, be a mess again. My mom explained to her, that she wanted to help clean, that this was a way to help her. ( in reality, it was so she didnt have to worry about her friends kids living in flith.)
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• wow i would of just told her straight of the bat that i would be back to help with the computer after she had done some serious cleaning..some ppl have lived like that for so long they begin to think its ok..if it were me and my house was a mess or it had a funky smell i would most def want to know
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• yeah i prolly would have left and said i couldnt work in that environment..

infact i prolly would have called cps
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Most people that live like that are depressed. Once the mess starts because they are too depressed to clean, it gets overwhelming and it's hard to even get started anywhere. Some people were never given the skills. Most women do not understand how important it is to teach your children how to live. Mothers are too busy to pass these important skills down to their children. Being a former EMT I have been in houses that I didn't know how they didn't fall down around the people. Helping her clean was nice, although she may have been insulted. Sit and talk to her. Maybe you can teach her some skills.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My sil is the same way. She grew up like that and now she's like that and so will her kids. Her excuse is because her kids won't clean up after themselves. Well the kids have to be taught in order to care. They don't and will never care about their books or toys. Sil is just very lazy and doesn't give a shit. Its totally unacceptable either way.
    dsadang

Answer by dsadang at 11:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2011