Im really worried...

Just yesterday I felt a finger tip size "lump" on my 4 month old daughters neck. It is on the left side about an inch back and below her ear. Of course the first thing I thought of is cancer. Does anyone have anything to tell me to keep me from worrying so much? I am making her an appt tomorrow and hopefully taking her in tomorrow. What will they do to check it out? I really dont want her to be poked with needles or anything. She also doesnt like when you try and touch it. Someone please give me some words of encouragement.

price85

Asked by price85 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its most likely a lymp node. My son had them too. But ask your doctor to be safe. Good luck :)
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It could just be an irritated lymph node. I get them occasionally and they are not fron cancer. Mine are usually at the base of my skull about and inch behind my ears.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It could be a swollen lymphnode. I know my son had one (he was 3.5 at the time though) and his was about the size of a baseball under his skin! I mean, like half the baseball, lol. Anyway, it was below and a little behind his ear. His didn't hurt though. They are pretty normal. But need to be checked for sure! Other then that I am not sure what it could be.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My daughter had one behind her ear from the time she was born to about 6 months old. It was a swollen lymph gland. The doctor told me it was probably reacting to her cradle cap and to just keep an eye on it and treat her cradle cap and call if it got worse. (she has red hair so it was difficult to tell if we got rid of her cradle cap completely) Her's turned out to be just fine, though I was really worried about it as well. I would just have it checked to be safe, but she's probably just fine, Mama. Good luck and *hugs*.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Its' always good to it checked out, and don't let the doctor brush it off, I not exactly sure what they will do to get it taken care of. But, no that you will want to give them details on the mood and about the poops are. Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Well everyone is making me feel better because you are all saying lymph nodes. I hope you guys are right. I never noticed if it has been there or if its new. I am going to take her to see the doc just to be safe.
    price85

Comment by price85 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Yea I would think its probably a lymph node also. My son's were really pronounced when he was a baby, even when he wasn't sick, and they really stood out when he was. But like the others said, I would let the doc take a peek just be sure. They can usually tell just by looking or feeling them. I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck.
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Im kind of worried that the doc will feel it and say oh its no big deal. I mean I know they are doctors but can they really tell just by feeling? I just want to make sure they are thorough and know for sure.
    price85

Comment by price85 (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It could be a swollen lymph node, which means some sort of infection or irritation, or it could even be a tiny cyst. Try not to worry too much, chances are she's fine. Best of luck!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Hope everything is alright!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 2:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2011