This ? is for moms who are extended breast feeders......

I nursed my son untill he was 13 months mainly because at 6 months a doc prescribed me cold medicine (me not knowing that it would dry me up at the time) and he started to loose intrest and then he was getting extremely active. So a part of me felt horrible about him not nursing any longer then 13 months and that it was my fault. So anyway we had another baby who is now 14 months and still nursing (YAY!!!!) and my son asked me if he could start nursing again (who is now 4 1/2). I told him that he can if thats what he wants to. Was that the right thing to say?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As long as you are comfortable with it, why not?
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Personally, I would not. Not that it would hurt him, but I am thinking he's going to be starting school soon and making friends and that kind of thing can make him stand out and make him a target. Not only him, but you once other mom's find out. In addition to that, I would worry about how YOUR body is going to keep up. I know when I was nursing my oldest (13mos) I had to stop because I was 9mos pregnant with the next child my body was literally giving out... I had had issues with malnutrition and dehydration on dangerous scales the entire time he nursed because he was so big and needed so much... I would think a 4yo is going to be wanting quite a bit more (although not as often) as a toddler... And personally, I wouldn't be comfortable that old. I nursed my middle child til he was 2 1/2ish... But then he wanted to stop. My goal with this one is 2 - 2 1/2 as well. That 's my comfort level.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I agree with SabrinaMBowen. Maybe he just asked because he was curious as to why his sibling gets to and he doesn't and he's old enough to make that connection? Maybe he feels you spend a lot more time with the younger child and you could make some more special mommy/son time with him to make up for it. Whatever you choose, good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Yep. Let him nurse. He'll likely drop it pretty quickly (but maybe not...who knows?). He's curious and sees the bond with your other child and wants to be a part of that. Trust your instincts, Mama, they'll hardly ever lead you wrong when it comes to your kids. :)
    Borealis

Answer by Borealis at 10:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I would not but hey that is totally up to you.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 10:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Thank you ladies so much for your wonderful advice expecially the supporters of breastfeeding. My children will be homeschooled and my son is already in his preschool yr so Im not really worried about what others think. I dont believe it is agains the law to nurse your children lol no matter the age unless its forced which is totally 100% not the case here so my last worry is what other moms would think. I just think he wants that bond like other moms have said and I dont blame him cause I miss that bond with him as well.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I breast fed until my LO 2.5. He'll be 4 in August. He would still be nursing if I let him lol (wasn't ready to stop but had medical issues and meds :o(. I think if I had another baby and were breast feeding I think I would have said that he was past that stage and that the milk is for the baby now. I don't think it's wrong to agree or nurse him, that is between you and your child. But I don't think I would start again as it would be difficult to wean him again (or I imagine it would be). I don't feel there's a right or wrong here.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• So, how does this work exactly? Does he eat his sandwich then climb on your lap for a drink? Seriously and I'm not trying to be rude. I just don't see how it works at that age and with teeth, etc. Do the teeth pose a problem? I would think he's jealous of the other child is all. Anyway, you should do what makes you comfortable.
    Anonymous

• Just don't tell anybody. Your 4 1/2 year old is probably just curious and it won't last too long. Kids have the "sucking need" until 5-6 or longer for some kids. I observed my son sucking in his sleep when he was 5 years old. My point - don't be ashamed and do what feels comfortable and natural to you and your children.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• My oldest asked to do that when I was nursing my second. He was about 3. I let him a couple of times and he didn't want to anymore. His curiosity was satisfied. lol
    MandyP27

Answer by MandyP27 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2011