Autism question?

My 21 month old son was a early developer in most all areas, he walked early, crawled early etc... However he wasn't quick with his words. As of right now he has maybe 15 words he says regularly and he often will repeat words right after he hears them but wont remember them later on. He has been fine at all of his check ups. I did have a discussion w/his Dr about the possibility of ADHD as it runs in both sides of the family and I have had starangers on more than one occassion tell me he seems like he has ADHD and his dr said thats not something they would look into now as he was too young. I was fine with that answer because it gave me peace of mind. Recently a family member suggested we get him checked for autism and I was speechless because the thought had never crossed my mind. I looked it up online and found that there were a couple of red flags that my son fit into. He isnt able to use two word commands, he throws MAJOR MASSIVE tantrums for no reason, like worse than any I have seen from other kids, and then some smaller things like staring at lights, and always choosing to play individually and never with other kids. This has me concerned now and his next appt isnt until almost October. Does anyone know anything about this, or have any experiences with autism, or in general any thoughts?

mitchellb

Asked by mitchellb at 10:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wanted to add that my DS was diagnosed as Asperger's at 5.5 but I suspected 'something' at age 3. I was not sure 'what' until he was closer to 4. It took until he was 5 to get DH on board and until he was 5.5 to get the final diagnosis.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• If you have read up and you see red flags then go ahead and consider mentioning it to his regular ped. They will be able to help you decide if a specialist is necessary. DO not take any diagnosis on any type of developmental disorder from a regular ped. Go to a psychologist or a developmental ped. He is still young but if you are concerned have him checked. There is no harm is having him looked at.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• If he does have some degree of Autism he will be far better off getting it diagnosed sooner than later. It will help you become aware of some of the "differences" he may struggle with at every stage of development, and help you (and other teachers, doctors, caregivers) intervene in the proper ways to help lessen some of the potential difficulties associated with it. Also, please remember that Autism is a spectrum disorder, meaning there are many various levels of severity. Your son may only have a very mild case, but even knowing that may help you to help him through each stage of development as he grows up. (You also may want to consider doing some of your own research - books, websites, pamphlets, etc. You probably know you son better than his doctor does, so I'd start by simply getting some more information on the subject...)
    GwennasMom

Answer by GwennasMom at 10:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• What is Aspergers?
    mitchellb

Comment by mitchellb (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It is a form of high functioning Autism.  LINK    Diagnostic criteria LINK  Typically diagnosed between ages 3 and 10.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• His doc said he was too young? If you go to his doc again and talk about what the other posters suggest (very good suggestions by the way) and he still says he's too young then, I think you should look into a new doc. My youngest was already starting an early intervention program by the time he was 2. Good luck.
    saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 8:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• PS: Have you had his hearing checked too? We used to have ped who thought her daughter was probably on the spectrum but it turned out she had a treatable hearing problem.
    saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 8:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2011