Head lice help! Please read!

My girls have head lice. My oldest DD doesn't have it too bad. But my younger DD has it BAD. :(

When I was younger I got it like that and she has my hair type. Thankfully she has shorter hair right now due to beautifying her own hair with he scissors on Mother's Day.

Anyhow, I used the store brand lice killer, sprayed everything down with some lie killing spray stuff, washed and soaked in hot water all of their pillows/blankets/etc and literally picked nits and eggs for over 2 hours tonight. Looks like I have to take the day off tomorrow too because their little heads are sore, we're all tired and nowhere close to having them all out. But I can't do it anymore tonight. :( And I can't subject them to that any longer tonight.

I think I got all the bugs, but there are tons of eggs left. They're EVERYWHERE!

I don't even know how this happened or how it spread so quickly. But I do know it's quite embarrassing to have to call your friends and family to have them check their heads and the heads of their children. :(

Is there anything else I can do to make the removal of the eggs any easier? That damned comb is NOT helping. HELP!

*Just thinking about this makes my head itch all over, lol. But I checked and I am clean.*

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• You have to get every last nit or the lice will keep coming back.  You can get rid of the lice in 3 weeks with diligent nit combing - do it; it worked for us twice  http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/theliceprogram/

Also buy this nit comb, it's the best one (available online):  http://www.liceinfo.net/terminator-comb.php

I hate that I am such an expert on lice, but glad that I can help you.  The combing sucks, but you **have** to do it, and learn how to do it right or you will never be free of lice.  The bagging of items, etc. is not so necessary since lice cannot live without a host.  Just keep your heads off the furniture until the lice are gone.

RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Oh, no PLEASE don't put Raid on your kids!

Get a bottle of cheap, plain (yellow) Listerine (no minty fresh green); use it to thourhoughly saturate hair and scalp. Wrap hair in a shower cap (use a rubber band to make it smaller) for an afternoon nap or playtime (I wouldn't go overnight with a little one; for my kids I let them watch a movie laying on the couch with a towel covered pillow behind their head). Rinse well, shampoo/condition as normal; comb out with fine tooth comb, pulling out any lice or eggs, while wet; blow dry.

If you want/can, add some Tea Tree Oil to shampoo for the hair. You can get a bottle for under $10 at WalMart, only takes a few drops for the whole bottle. It helps the eggs release from the hair.

Comb out the hair very well. It takes a while. Keep the hair wet - it really helps.

Check hair for missed/growing eggs daily for a few days, then after a week.

Good luck, mama!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• When we got them my mom used something that worked wonders! And it makes your hair soft and makes it so easy to comb the nits right out! This may sound absurd, but get some shower caps and a huge jar of Mayonnaise. Cover their heads in mayo completely, and put shower caps on them. Then, leave it on all day. This smothers the eggs and lice and softens the scalp and hair to make nit removal super easy. Worked the first time for us! Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• play around with the combs. The plastic ones suck. The more heavy duty metal combs work much better. Don't forget to do the RID again in two weeks just in case you missed any eggs & they hatch. Also, here's the kicker...

Go buy some pure tea tree oil, they sell it at most drug stores now a days....and add some to your shampoo & conditioner. Lice cannot live in hair that has tea tree oil in it. It won't kill them, but it will definitely keep them from re-infesting your kids. My DD is older now, so lice isn't an issue anymore. But, she got it once in pre-k & my child has a lion's mane...it was a nightmare! A friend told me about the tea tree &, i put that in my shampoo for 5 years for fear of lice. We NEVER had lice again. The tee tree is a sure trick to keep them away from your kids hair in the first place.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I swear to you the mayo thing will work wonders!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• i feel for you, my sd had them last week. thankfully her mom took care of that. i read online that if you rinse their hair in vinegar it will loosen the eggs up and they come out easier. hope this helps.

esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Using a hot blow dryer kills the lice. I know its not comfortable but it kills them. Nits are a pain to pick out. If you could get a big magnifier you could see them better. They actually have a lot of hair places popping up specifically to get lice out of kids hair. That's where I heard of the blow drier treatment. Good luck and yeah please don't use raid!
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 10:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Mayo and shower caps. Sounds wierd and feels nasty, but it sufficates them and makes it easier to pick them out. Put it in before they go to bedand hae them sleep in it. That's how my mom ot rid of mine when I was little.
    daddysgirl199

Answer by daddysgirl199 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Oh, and after the mayo thing, the vinegar thing another mom mentioned works too help get the nits out, too. Use half vinegar/half water in a spray bottle while combing out the nits. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• You don't need mayo, you can use conditioner. Have you heard of using CETAPHIL? The plain cleanser? Our ped. recommended this approach. You saturate every strand of their hair with it and then blow it dry. This takes a long time w/ the cetaphil on but it suffocates the eggs and lice plus the blow drying helps kill both. You wear this for 8 hours and wash it out and then reapply. We did this daily for 10 days (do it at night so they can go to school in the morning already coated and blown dry). In between, keep combing. This has actually been very effective and horror of horrors, we've had lice three times. Now I don't even use the RID. Google it, it's a good way to do it w/o mayo or olive oil or RAID. Holy cow man.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2011