If you pump and store/freeze your breast milk....

If you pumped and froze it ALL. How much would you say you would have at the end of 8 months?
Weird question I know but I have a friend who still nurses her son. He'll be 8 months old on Saturday. She asked my today if I thought she had froze too much and is she being obsessive about pumping. With giving her son his normal..oh I don't know..4 bottles a day at the sitters and nursing at home she has managed to freeze 1,100 ounces. My children are nearly adults and I can't remember back that far...is that alot? I just want to try to answer her question because she seems to think she's going overboard and I have no idea.

happy2bme7

Asked by happy2bme7 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• That's A LOT! WOW! I have never had more than 20-30oz stored at any time. I would like to have a few day's worth but am not that dedicated. I think she could slow down now!
    Tuf

Answer by Tuf at 11:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Hmmm I dunno but I do know when my son was in the NICU and my daughter as well, each time at 2 diff hospitals they kept the milk for me to use there since I was commuting from quite a distance. With my son I brought home a very large cooler and I had to store the milk in the deep freeze at a friends house and some in my fridge. I actually had to throw some out.
    With my middle same thing although I started tossing it while I was nursing because she was just doing such a great job. I didn't nurse with my last one. You know those pumps are super strong and they can cause you to overproduce if you will..that might be why she has so much.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 8:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i had about 200 oz extra after 5 months.... but my son ate alot
    Anonymous

• Well, just think 8 oz is a full bottle... and 1001/8= 125! Wow. Yeah, I'd say that's a lot. That's like, a couple months worth.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• It all depends on how much she pumps. In a day, I can only pump about 6 ounces.
    Anonymous

• Well I thought it was a lot but I didn't want to say anything if it was just ME thinking that way. I never thought of the possibility of the breast pump causing her to over produce and suggesting to her that should could probably slow down now sounds like a great idea. Thanks ladies for your advice : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2008