Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Check's Bouncing

I wrote a check to the lady who watches my kids for $180 and my DH forgot that I wrote that check, so he wrote a check to someone else for $200. We only had like $250 in the account, so we know the $180 check will bounce. I am fine with if we get a fee for having a check bounce, but will our account just be negative or will the check come back out of my childcare provider's account? I just do not want this mistake on our end to screw up her bank account especially since she watches my kids for so cheap anyways and has been real good to us. Every week we write her a check and they come out of our account first thing on Monday mornings. We only have $4.65 in our other account and no available credit on any credit cards to try and move funds.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • I would let her know right away so that her finances don't get severely screwed up.

    Answer by treynlisa at 10:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • Sometimes the bank will let it go and just charge u, other times they will bounce it back to the person who tried to cash it.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • Do you have overdraft protection that will cover the check for her and just charge you?

    Answer by treynlisa at 10:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • YOu will probably get a $35 fee for overdrawing..but remember you will be charged that amount EVERY purchase that overdraws..>I would let her know and ask kindly if she could hold off until you rearrange your funds.

    Answer by calliesmommie at 11:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • Yes, she will be charged a fee also and if she counted on the money and wrote checks she will incur charges if they bounce too. Tell her RIGHT NOW.

    Answer by GrammytoTrin at 11:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • I would call her asap and let her know there has been a money mix-up, and could she please hold the check for a few days. If she has already cashed it, let her know that it will probably bounce, and that you will make good on it to her. I have mixed up my account and accidentally bounced a check, my bank did cover it, and they charged me a $35 NSF fee.

    Answer by MizLee at 11:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • I would let her know what is going on so that it doesn't surprise her if something happens to her account. If someone writes me a bad check my bank charges me for it as well.

    Answer by glam.fairy at 11:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

  • Call her right away!! maybe she did not cash it yet!!

    Answer by mkdirector2011 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • Call her, call the bank. Also call the other guy your husband wrote a check to. If one of them doesn't try to cash theirs then you will be okay. Don't share a checking account if you don't communicate well. My husabnd's name might be on our account, but he doesn't touch it. I do it all. If it is screwed up it is my fault.

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.