Pumping....

I want to breast feed my new born but not sure if I can keep up with the demand. I am 32wks pregnant and was wondering if I started to pump now would I get any milk production so I cab freeze it until the baby arrives.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Do you plant to only pump and feed or are you planning on putting the baby to the breast as well... ?

I do not believe pumping before the birth is recommended,
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't pump yet hun. I'm not sure if that's even possible.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• You should never pump until your child is born. Talk with your OB.
    Whoda

Answer by Whoda at 11:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• It's the release of the placenta that helps start the chemical process that begins milk production. All that might wind up happening if you were to attempt this now are contractions, and if they're strong enough, fetal distress. Not good at 32 weeks.

Trust your body. It knows what to do. The number of women truly unable to produce enough is very low. Check out www.kellymom.com to learn more about how the process works.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• You can pump but the milk won't be there. It can get you ready for the process of your nipples getting milk. but, they don't come in until the baby comes, and the baby takes it's first nip is typically the start of your milk coming in.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Your body will produce enough milk for your baby after you give birth. Nursing on demand for the first few weeks (or as king as possible) will regulate your supply. Pumping in the first few weeks is unnecessary and will add much unneeded stress to your life. Join a breastfeeding group on here for more advice and support during your first few weeks of breastfeeding:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• You will keep up with demand, don't worry. If you feel your supply is low, you might need to eat more and/or drink more water. Other than that, just feed the baby about every 2 hours around the clock when first born (the baby will tell you...). Feedings will spread out as the baby grows. Find a La Leche League in your area for more help and advice.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I bottle fed my 1st and breastfed my 2nd...and let me tell you breast is sooooooo much easier! Get as much info now as you can about it and ask for tons of help from your nurses. The first few weeks are a challenge but once you and baby get the hang of it, it is much better than bottles. No making and warming in the middle of the night...no remembering bottles when you leave the house...no added dishes...you get an excuse to sit and relax with the baby instead of others feeding.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Wait until the baby is born. And you really should try to breast feed for a while first. It's MUCH easier!
    MandyP27

Answer by MandyP27 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• talk to your doctor about this
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2011