Fat Puppies

We are getting two Siberian Husky puppies on Friday (was going to just be one and then we saw the other at the visit today, so it's now two). They are 7 weeks old. One of them is very fat. I'm talking just tuck her head in and she's a ball. The other is smaller, but still overweight. Their brothers and sisters all seem to be "normal" in their weight.

I've never ever seen a fat puppy...honestly never even knew it could be possible. The breeder blames that they push the others aside so they can get more food. They were as active as their siblings...just a bit more round.

I know there isn't "light" puppy food...at least none I've seen in stores...and yet you have to feed them at least a certain amount a day to keep them growing a healthy.

I plan on asking our vet at our appointment the day we bring them home (this Friday...a day before they turn 8 weeks) for advice, but figuring I should get some additional...maybe even of some that have had rolly-polly puppies themselves.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2011 in Pets

• I agree it could be worms, but I don't agree with buying over-the-counter dewormers. When you take them to the vet, s/he will start them on the dewormer and will give them a dose at every visit until they are 4 to 6 months old. If they really are overweight and it isn't worms, it could be that they were fed a low quality brand of puppy food. The low quality brands are full of fillers, corn, and SUGAR. I would start switching them over to a high quality brand ASAP, but be sure to get a small bag of what the breeder is feeding so you can do the switch gradually. Here is a website that rates almost every brand there is from 1 to 5 stars: www.dogfoodadvisor.com. I personally wouldn't feed anything with less than a 4 star rating, but there are a few 3 stars that are ok if you are on a tight budget. Just learn how to read ingredient labels. A good site for that is www.dogfoodproject.com.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'd be a bit wary of buying pups that look that overly round. They could have worms? or some genetic problem? But yeah, if you're already decided to buy them, just make sure they only get the recommended amounts of food at each meal and give them plenty of exercise. Vet can give you more specific advice. :) LOVE little Siberian Huskies, they are SO CUTE!!! Congratulations on the new pets.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I would get some deworming medicine if they are old enough. Usually "fat" puppies means they just have worms and need to be dewormed. They will get better within days if that's the problem, but you will have to watch for the worms in their stool so you can clean it quickly.

My sister took in a pregnant stray until she had her puppies and could get them weened and find them all homes. I ended up being the one to have to find them all homes and when she sent them with me they were all "fat", even the runt. We gave them all the appropriate doses of worming medicine, and some baths and they were cute as can be and all better within days. Good luck! I've always wanted a Siberian Husky!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Agree with pp ~ fat puppies generally indicates worms, but I'd rather bring home a fat one and treat it than a skinny or frightened one.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Most puppies and kittens have worms of some sort and as long as you take care of them it's not a big deal if that is the case.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 3:46 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yep- sounds like worms to me. Honestly, the breeder sounds kinda fishy, especially if he's not willing to admit the pups have worms. They should have at least had their first set of shots and a round of deworming meds before you buy one.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• OP, it's worms. Not seeing worms doesn't mean the puppy doesn't have them. There are worms that are not visible to the human eye.

There is no such thing as a light puppy food because puppies need the nutrients, fats and vitamins that puppy food provides.

A puppy is wormed at 2 weeks, 4 weeks and 6 weeks, and then should be wormed again. IF you are getting the puppy from a backyard breeder they will say anything to get you to buy their dogs because they want the money. A reputable breeder wouldn't come out with the gem "well, they eat more than their brothers or sisters"

I'd so some more research on the "breeder" of the pups. Also, a reputable breeder won't let the dogs go before 8 weeks....one day or not.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:29 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree, probably worms........congrats and have fun with the new babies!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'm not sure that it is worms. Thebreeder did say she gave them de-working need and we saw the poo of the fattest one and I saw nothing to make me suspect worms. Also it is not the "bloated belly" that worms cause, they are just fat.

I guess I'll just wait and talk to our vet on Friday.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Wow Acid...you are so matter-of-fact with your answer when you really don't know much about the situation other than what I have told you. I'm not an idiot. One of my first jobs was working for a veterinarian and from that and by having pets of my own, I know all about deworming. I know about vaccinations and check-ups and leash laws. I know the importance of puppy training and not feeding people food from the table. I also know the difference between a bloated-belly puppy who has an infestation of worms and a fat puppy. Again, I'm not an idiot.

I know quite a lot about this breeder. A friend got a puppy from her a couple years ago and one of her friends got a puppy last year. I don't want a breeder that breeds for "champions." I want a breeder who breeds for "family pets." I'm actually offended that you would suggest this is a backyard breeder. Shame on you for being so quick to judge on something you know little about.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2011