Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Adult night terrors?

My dad tells me I am having night terrors. He had them as a child. I never have.

I don't know a lot about them...

But the last two weeks, I've fallen down the stairs while sleep walking. I woke up paralized, couldn't move. I often don't know where I am and get really scared. Several nights I've woken up sobbing. Once screaming. Once I ran out of the house because I could've swore there were bugs crawling all over me.

I'm hardly sleeping more than a few hours anymore. And I have no idea why. From what I understand, there is nothing that can be done to stop them... But I didn't think adults had them...

I don't know if it's night terrors or something else.... Anyone?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Sounds like night terrors to me. Are you taking Ambien or any other prescription sleep medicine because sometimes that can lead to symptoms like you describe as an unusual side effect? Talk to a doctor and ask them to give you a "sleep study" which should lead to soe answers.

    Answer by GrammytoTrin at 4:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • I would suggest seing a sleep specialist also. The paralysis and hallucinations are actually fairly common. Sleep paralysis is being completely unable to move, yet you have an awareness that your conscious. Almost as if your brain is awake and your body is asleep. These can be frightening as hallucinations frequently accompany them. I had them when i was pregnant the first time often. One particularly scarey experience I was hearing male voices walking and talking around my apartment. I was trapped in my body and feeling that i was being robbed and couldn't protect myself. Hallucination is also not uncommon right when waking or falling asleep. I saw a huge spider on my wall, clear as day once but after a second it vanished. I had just woken up. With the accompying night mares, sleepwalking and screaming, thats a lot going on at once. I'd get it checked, even if it's nothing, maybe they can give some advice on how to stop it.

    Answer by Trinity001 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • see a professional , psych , see you dr. for a referral to a specialist , this is -- of course a serious issue , get help

    Answer by letstalk747 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • We live in a very rural area... I don't know what the chances are of finding a sleep specialist anywhere close. But I am going to go see my primary about it.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • I'd have a sleep study done

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:46 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

Next question in Health
How long does it take for baby to disappear?

Next question overall (Shopping)
GMC Terrain