What do you think?

My youngest son had a thing with biting people, soooo... one day (after a month of no results) i bit him back after he bit my other son. it hurt him just enough for him to cry a little (more like a shock that mommy just bit me, type of thing) and he never did it again... my oldest son (age 5) just bit his little brother the other day, so i bit him back. again just hard enough to make him wimper a little. and it left a SMALL bruise. what do you think? was i wrong? how do you disapline you children? i do time out and stuff like that but it seems like nothing works... Help please!

dfwhite

Asked by dfwhite at 12:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I say do whatever works. Every child is different so the punishment has to fit the child as well as the "crime." I raised 4 kids believing this. Spanking worked for 2 and punishment worked for the other 2. I never had an issue with biting, but, I believe, biting back was recommended when my children small. They range in age from 30 down to 23. I have 2 small grandchildren and my friends have small grandchildren, too. We pretty much agree that today's generation of parents worry too much about what other people and the "experts" say. Deal with your children the way you feel comfortable and in ways that work. You don't have to explain to anyone. You live with them. There is a big difference between discipline and child abuse. Time-outs should be the first attempt, but you have to be absolutley consistent.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I had the same problem with my daughter when she was young, i did what you did...problem solved!
    kea1313

Answer by kea1313 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree with what you did, I do not think you are wrong
    stacy1124

Answer by stacy1124 at 2:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i don't think it should ave left a bruise
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 1:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• *have
    mamawilbur

• I don't really think ur wrong. I mean it worked. And some people's skin just bruise easier then others. I use to pop Noah in the forehead and say, no biting. This is when he could barely hold himself up on the table. He sometimes would come close to my leg with his mouth open and go real slow to my knee. I'd say you better not and he would slam his forehead on my knee like he was so pissed that I caught him. Lol. I loved it. I always laughed.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 5:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• it was NOT intentional at all. i didnt even do it hard....
    dfwhite

Comment by dfwhite (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Anything that leaves a bruise on a child is considered asbusive by child protective services.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 4:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree with you you showed ur child that biting hurts and that they don't to be bite so in return thier urge to chew up your arm/leg or every unexpected family member is not so much fun. I myself have not had to result to bitting my daughter but In the past I did the same thing to my nieace who would bite you everytime u moved and guess what problem sloved. May have been to hard if it left a bruse, But hey when they chunked the phine at your eye and black it for days nobody says we r being abused
    country85

Answer by country85 at 5:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• But then again my daugther has a bad habbit of licking everything or wanting to pick up with her teeeth Strange we have no pets any tips lol
    country85

Answer by country85 at 5:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2011