Do you think children of stay at home parents (mom or dad) are more well rounded and turn out better than those who work fulltime?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• In my experience with my own children I would say yes, having a stay at home parent has made them more well-rounded, but the more important part is that they have had an involved stay at home parent. Because our kids had a parent who could (and would, not all SAH parents dedicate time to their kids) be actively involved they have been able to participate in all kinds of age appropriate activities. In the summer our kids aren't dumped out at the pool for hours on end, they attend art programs, participate in community theater and take college courses.  They volunteer with the library's summer reading program (too old to participate) and at the local animal shelter.  Being a stay at home parent isn't the key, it's being a parent who cares enough about your kids not to let them raise themselves.  I have seen stay at home parents fail at this just as much as working parents.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I've been around children from both sides who have been well rounded.  I think it's the parent and the parenting choices, not whether the parent chooses to bring home the bacon or the parent who chooses to fry it.  (Or in some cases, the parent who has to bring home the bacon AND fry it)  ;)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think SAHM's can have a good impact or bad impact..if you're staying at home and sitting on your ass all day while your kid is in front of the TV, then no...if you work and spend QUALITY time with your kids for the time you see them, then that is much better. It can go either way..I stay home, my daughter is almost 3 and she's very smart..we do learning books, always spend time outside, gymnastics, swimming lessons, stuff like that...we're always doing something...she eats very healthy, says her prayers before she eats, please, thank you, etc...I think YOU are their best teacher, but that doesn't mean you have to spend 24/7 with them...it all depends on the quality of time you spend with them, not the quantity...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:36 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Both my parents worked full time and I believe I am a well rounded person. I stay home with my son and I think he will be ok, lol. I honestly think any kid can turn out well no matter if both parents work or one stays home! I don't believe in the all or nothing theory, some kids will turn out bad wether their parents both work or if one stays home!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• This is why I said it DEPENDS ON THE PARENT. Extreme example, but if a parent is a drug addict, don't you think the child might be a little better off WITHOUT so much of that influence?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes and no. When I was at home I took my son to museums, the zoo, tons of activities. And had a blast. It was amazing to see his interests blossom as his world unfolded. My MIL told me of a mom she knows who is at home and she does very little. My child is now still being exposed to so many cool experiences with his school, private nanny, and camp. I am fortunate to work only three days so we still have our exploring time. It just depends on the parent and child. I do not know if I can say my child at four is well rounded or if that would matter much right now. He has his passions and interests...but an average typical kid. I'm following his lead. Where he goes I will follow right behind to support and cheer on. I don't want to worry about him being the smartest, the fastest or the best at all things. I only hope he has the best life possible for him.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Overall? I would say yes. But there are exceptions to every rule.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Uh, no. I think children with better parents turn out better and more well rounded. And even then, not all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:32 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Depending on the parent, sometimes the kid may turn out better without so much of their influence don't you think? And vice versa?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2011