When should I talk to my daughter about periods?

It is early, she will be 7 soon, but I started my cycles at around 8 or 9 I believe. When would be the appropriate time to discuss this with her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Talk early and often

If your daughter asks questions about menstruation, answer them openly and honestly. Provide as many details as you think she needs at the time. It's OK to let your daughter set the pace — but don't let her avoid the topic entirely. If she's not asking questions as she approaches the preteen years, it's up to you to start talking about menstruation. Don't plan a single tell-all discussion. Instead, talk about the various issues — from basic hygiene to fear of the unknown — in a series of short conversations. Consider it part of a continuing conversation on how the human body works. Remember, your daughter needs good information about the menstrual cycle and all the other changes that puberty brings. If her friends are her only source of information, she may hear some nonsense and take it for fact
    dan4heather

Answer by dan4heather at 6:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Whenever you feel comfterable is the best time. If you dont do it before she gets hers then she will feel "lost" when she actually does get it!
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 1:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Sooner rather than later. She may have already heard about it from friends, but you want to let her know it's okay to talk to you about it, and that when the time comes, you can show her how to use a pad and such. I say never too early, and she's at an age where she is getting close to her first period.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I was going to say age 8, but since girls often start when their mothers did (or close to it) I'd say now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't see any reason not to talk to her now. I started very early at 8 also. It is better to have heard about it than to suddenly find blood in your underwear and be panicked.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 3:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'd talk to her whenever the topic comes up or you feel it is the right time. Just be light hearted about it.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 8:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• You might as well tell her now, so she doesn't get terribly surprised if she develops an early period.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I would talk to her asap, in a way she can easily understand and that won't freak her out.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Probably around 8 is when I would.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 12:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Sooner rather than later!
    JHanc968

Answer by JHanc968 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011