Are you brushing those baby teeth/gums with SACCHARIN? (Did you know...)

Oh yes, you heard right, most baby toothpaste contains SACCHARIN! Apparently they don't have to warn us about this because we "Don't actually CONSUME it" WHATEVER! Babies swallow this stuff ALL the time!!!!

This makes me angry, I immediately checked my babies brands, and for my nine month old daughter I was using Orajel baby teeth and gum cleanser, and YES... SACCHARIN!!! Eeek!! So now it's just Grins and Giggles from Gerber! At least there is someone in the baby business we can trust!!

SACCHARIN.... In 1959, the United States Congress amended the Food, Drugs, and Cosmetic Act of 1938 with the Delaney clause to mandate that Food and Drug Administration not approve substances which "induce cancer in man, or, after tests, found to induce cancer in animals." Studies in laboratory rats during the early 1970s linked saccharin with the development of bladder cancer in rodents. Consequently all food containing saccharin was labeled with a warning.

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sons Kids Crest contains it too! Im pissed! Here I thought that one tiny cavity was my fault for not flossing his teeth, but it's his sugar paste!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• IKR! I had no idea until recently, my Cousin informed me of this, and I freaked out! but all Gerbers stuff seems to be safe.. well as safe as can be now-a-days, I suppose. I was very upset too.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Comment by WhitneyMommyOf2 (original poster) at 3:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Good my 9 month old gets the grin and giggles and my 2 year old gets a little bit of my toothpaste which is probably saver with the fluoride now!
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 4:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• wow; I've been using baby orajel for years with my kids! Just threw it out!
    Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 5:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Letlovegrow, you seriously need to research fluoride.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Good info. ty 4 posting
    Wanabmommy

Answer by Wanabmommy at 1:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• goodness now i have to look for that and fluoride free tooth paste!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• IKR, isn't it just an outrage?!
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Comment by WhitneyMommyOf2 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2011