Planned C-section

I'm having a planned c-section. I know how going into labor works, and doing the whole natural thing, or getting the epidural, or having an emergency c-section, I know how all of those go down, and why. But...what happens when you have a planned c-section. Like do you go in there, get it done, or just what happens exactly. I know its an odd question to ask, and I should ask my doctor, but I was wondering what you ladies have experienced during a planned c-section.

Do they induce you? Or break your water, or do they just straight away take the baby out after they put in the epidural, or do they do that? I don't even know.

monstersmommy20

Asked by monstersmommy20 at 2:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had a scheduled c-section with DD and am having one with DD2 and two days before my water broke so they hooked me up and told me they would deliver at 6 am i went into the operating room they gave me a spinal block (i recommend doing that because the other options are just blech from what my friends have said) and then at 7 am my little girl was in her daddies arms very simple and didn't bother me at all just make sure to walk around asap or recovery will be slowed goodluck and congrats
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 3:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I have no idea either how it actually works because I had my DD by emg c-section surgery so it was all last minute and it was a quick process but I'm having #2 in Nov and I'm pretty sure we will have a planned c-section surgery but I have no idea how it all works though. I'm sure we both will find out eventually :)
    breezymommie

Answer by breezymommie at 8:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Planned C-sections are scheduled well before labor begins. There are two subgroups: indication-based and patient-requested.

Indication-based C-sections are usually scheduled at the doctor's request when a patient suffers from, or is at great risk of, a medical problem that could result in labor that would harm her or the baby. When a child is in the breech (feet-down) position, vaginal delivery is dangerous. Large babies (more than 9 pounds) are often delivered by planned C-section. Mothers who suffer from chronic conditions that could be exacerbated by labor, like diabetes or heart disease, often plan C-sections.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Multiple births, which are more common these days because of the increased use of fertility medications, are usually an indication for a C-section. The doctor will opt for a C-section when there are three or more fetuses in the womb, or when twins are conjoined or sharing one amniotic sac. Women who have had previous C-sections will often have a planned C-section.

One of the advantages of a planned C-section is the assurance that you will be at the hospital during peak hours, when a full staff is working. The risks of a planned C-section are also lower than those of an emergency operation.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Patient-requested C-sections (planned, without medical indications) are a growing trend in the United States. The National Institute of Health estimates that, in 2004, 4 to 18 percent of C-sections were performed on maternal request instead of for medical reasons [source: NIH]. While the NIH has admitted that these numbers are difficult to validate, they are sure that this type of C-section is becoming more and more common.

We know that the risks of C-sections are greater than risks of vaginal birth, at least with your first pregnancy. So why are women opting for C-sections,
    Christmaslver68

• Some theorize that the combination of improved C-section safety, along with increased maternal age, has lead to women being able to control when and how they are going to give birth. This type of control is attractive to women who are balancing family and career -- they can perfectly plan maternity leave, right down to the date of the last conference call. Another popular theory is that some women, fearing the pain of vaginal delivery and wanting to avoid urinary incontinence, jump at the chance to give birth via C-section.

Whatever the reasoning, doctors are quick to point out that women should not make this decision lightly. One C-section increases the necessity for another with the next child -- and the risk of serious complications increases for subsequent C-sections. The NationaI Institutes of Health has guidelines for patient-requested C-sections. To ensure proper fetal lung maturity, they should not be scheduled before
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• http://health.howstuffworks.com/pregnancy-and-parenting/pregnancy/labor-delivery/c-section4.htm
    Christmaslver68

• http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=planned+cesarean+section&aq=1&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=951dc7972bfd90fb&biw=1000&bih=778
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Well thanks for the info, but I know why I'm having a c-section, I just want to know how they do it. Like I asked...

Do they pop your water, or induce you, or do they just take the baby out?
    monstersmommy20

Comment by monstersmommy20 (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2011