>>>Beginning puberty at 6 adult content

My 8 year old daughter just confided in me that she's been keeping a secret from everyone including me. She began getting pubic hair when she was 6 years old. I nearly fainted, hope it didn't show through. She was afraid I'd take her to the Dr, she dislikes Drs ever since one forced a catheter into her when she was 3, I should have said no way in hell but I thought I was doing the best thing for her...it only traumatized her.

I didn't even know her breasts were beginning, they bother her when she plays because they're painful. She's been having discharge since she was 6, I just chalked it up to "whatever", she even has under arm hair...and she's beautiful. I always knew something was wrong with her hips! She began getting an hourglass figure when she was 4, right now the kids clothes fit very tight in the hip/butt area, but way too loose on her waist...she's curvier than I am!

This momma needs help, I am terrified...and 3rd grade is just around the corner. If you've been there, have some helpful info...I would appreciate it. Thank you!.

with3love

Asked by with3love at 2:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't freak out. Some kids do start young; as long as her development is progressing okay, I wouldn't panic. It is unusual, but not unheard of. See if she will okay an appointment with a doctor but do not worry. Make sure she's getting organic food without hormones and stuff, but it well could just be the way she's made. Just love her. :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I dont remember filling out young but I started my cycles in 4th grade.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 5:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think it is nothing to be too alarmed about. Just keep the lines of sommunication open with her. talk to her like she is normal. She will be just fine.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 7:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I know a lot of kids are starting earlier now. I think it has a lot to do with the hormones that are pumped into foods now. I know hormones have always been in the food but I think there are more now. But that is just my opinion. I would talk to the doctor though. I know that she hates them but I would talk to them. Just make sure it isn't the same one who traumatized her.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I would bring her to a Pediatrician & get an expert opinion. This may be a sign of a pituitary problem that needs to be addressed. You need to see a Dr. about this ASAP.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I would work on her anxiety about, maybe get her therapy so she can build her confidence and self esteem.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I would talk with her pediatrician.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 12:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Don't panic... and let her know she can talk to you about anything.
    JHanc968

Answer by JHanc968 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Although I was a naturally thin child, I was curvy by the time I entered first grade.My mom always told me I was beautiful and made me excited about becoming a woman. You should have a private sit down with her pediatrician first and find out if there is something you should be worried about. If they want to check her out, find the least invasive way possible. There are a lot of good books for young girls about puberty, be very positive about it and she will mimic your reaction. Also explain the importance of going to the Dr, but inform her that no one will do anything to her without her knowing about it well before hand. For alot of children, explaining why something must be done and how it is done alleviates the fear. If you think the exam may be too traumatic, the Dr may provide her with a mild sedative or something.
    nacoledawn

Answer by nacoledawn at 1:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree you need to talk to her pediatrician about this privately. Don't let her know you're alarmed. She may need to be tested for hormone levels and such, just to make sure nothing is overactive or anything, and they may want to do some chromosomal testing on her. Hopefully, she's just maturing early and it's that simple, but it's worth getting a professional opinion. From there, help her out. Get her a training bra, and teach her how to take care of herself the ways she needs to know how. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2011