Puberty at six years old... adult content

My 8 year old daughter just confided in me that she's been keeping a secret from everyone including me. She began getting pubic hair when she was 6 years old. I nearly fainted, hope it didn't show through. She was afraid I'd take her to the Dr, she dislikes Drs ever since one forced a catheter into her when she was 3, I should have said no way in hell but I thought I was doing the best thing for her...it only traumatized her.

I didn't even know her breasts were beginning, they bother her when she plays because they're painful. She's been having discharge since she was 6, I just chalked it up to "whatever", she even has under arm hair...and she's beautiful. I always knew something was wrong with her hips! She began getting an hourglass figure when she was 4, right now the kids clothes fit very tight in the hip/butt area, but way too loose on her waist...she's curvier than I am!

This momma needs help, I am terrified...and 3rd grade is just around the corner. If you've been there, have some helpful info...I would appreciate it. Thank you!.

with3love

Asked by with3love at 2:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Health

• Take your child to a good pediatrician and ask for an endocrine and hormonal workup to find out what is going on. Girls are showing a trend to earlier puberty in America, but I would consult the doctor to be on the safe side. Certain illnesses can produce abnormal levels of hormones etc.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 3:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I have a friend who in 3rd grade got her period! I remembered her telling me still to this day. She is a happy healthy mother now 13 years later =) Call her doctor and get her a check up.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 4:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't be surprised with all the hormones in our food these days. Poor baby she was probably really confused and you too. Probably didn't expect to have this talk quite so early. I agree with everyone else. Take her to the Dr and see if there is anything they can do for her. There are suppressants to prevent this if that is something that you want to do at this point. I believe this is called precocious puberty if you want to check it out.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 4:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Some girls start their period at 8. Look at your family history; that plays a role in it. Ask your mother; grate grandmother; etc if possible how old they were.
    Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 5:24 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree with the rest of the moms here: take your doctor to her peditrican just to make sure everything is ok with your daughter. But if you want to know the truth, girls are maturing at earlier and earlier ages from when we were girls back in the day.
    NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I was 12 and so were my sisters and mom.
    with3love

Comment by with3love (original poster) at 4:58 AM on Jun. 21, 2011