My teenage daughter, 15, does not want to grow up. It's been like this for years. I'm worried.

Sorry I didn't add any info. I'm brand new at this. Her first week in high school and she cried so much and said she didn't want anything to do with it. I was afraid that might happen. She has anxiey issues but she doesn't realize it, of course I don't bring it up like that or very often. With much consideration, I let her do online school. By the way, she struggled with school because I believe she was distracted easily (ADD). She even says, she feels like 12. She wishes she was 12. I wonder if this is mainly anxiety caused. She was tested extensively about 1 year ago, and she does indeed have anxiety, but it was regarded as "unspecific" which means what, I do not know. Just one more thing, she has two friends, which live on our street, and they are sisters and both are younger.

Probated

Asked by Probated at 3:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Just accept it, she enjoys her childhood. Dont spent the last few kid years she has, telling her to grow up. She might grow up and collect toys, work at disney land, whatever...if it makes her happy. Or she may just snap out of it one day, maybe when she falls in love...& become a woman! Relax. :)
    with3love

Answer by with3love at 3:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• little more info please
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• She is 15...shy should she have to "grow up" yet?...
    She has a whole life ahead of her to be grown up
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• U said it, she's 15 and probably going through a lot of changes. Do your best to give her good advise withought sounding like u are criticizing her. Set limits and rules. Sometimes kids these days have way too many privileges and we wonder why they are so much worse.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• What's the matter with being a 15 year old? To many parents want their children to become adults far faster than they should.

But honestly the information you have given us isn't enough at all.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't want her to grow up faster, it's just that it's unusual, and I wonder if I should or shouldn't be doing something, or talking to a teen therapist about it. I love that she wants to enjoy her kidhood. I sure wasn't that way. She's extending her innocence sort of speak, which I really like. She does have her whole life to be grown up. It's just that much of it, I believe, has to do with "fear.". But maybe the fear has to do with the fact that developmentally speaking, she is not ready to be where other 15 year olds are at. However, her "fear" extends to a lot of other aspects of her life. My question is: should we talk with a therapist who has experience with teens and development issues?
    Probated

Comment by Probated (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• When in doubt, go with your gut. This is your daughter and you know where she should be and what she should be doing.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• After coming back to this- I would say if she hasn't been to a therapist, take her and see if it helps

:)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2011