How often to you get out of the house for alone time?

I was wondering how often other Mommys get out of the house? and what do you do when you get a chance to do so?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Alone outside the house? Almost never. I went out alone on Friday because I wanted a soda. So I walked to the store a mile away and back. Took me an hour or so. A couple weeks ago I went for a 3 hour walk around town. It was the first time I've left the house without at least 2 kids in tow since last summer. I don't have a car and won't drive my husband's truck so if I want to leave the house I have to walk and there's not much around here within walking distance so there's not much point to leave in the first place.

Alone time in the house I can get when my husband is home if I don't mind locking myself in my room (literal locking of the door) but there's nothing to do in there except read or write (with paper and pen). There's no TV or computer or anything in there. And the kids rooms are right across the hall so I can still hear them and they constantly knock on my door wanting stuff.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• LOL well when my son was young and I was a single mom Saturday or Sunday a month I would find a sitter and take him there for the day to just do whatever I wanted or needed to do. Things like cleaning and grocery shopping are not included in this. I took that one day a month and had a mani pedi or got my hair done or just sat on the beach by a lake thinking or took a bubble bath.
    dan4heather

Answer by dan4heather at 6:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• A couple times a week I get to run to the post office and grocery store alone, lol. Maybe once every 4 or 5 months I will go out to dinner with a friend or shopping or something, but my husband gets to go out at least once a month, it is very onesided, lol.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'd say I make time to go out once a week. I enjoy the library or just checking out the thrift store.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 6:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Alone? Not that often. Getting out pretty often. I usually have to drag one or the other kid with me. I don't really mind most times. But sometimes it gets so old considering my girls have to pack up just for a short trip like they're going on a vacation. I miss the days of just hopping in the truck and taking off quick. Before school let out I enjoyed getting out every day just to be by myself and go to thrift stores or something without kids
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 6:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Everyday. My oldest goes to summer camp and I bring my youngest to the gym and he goes to the gym daycare for 2 hrs while I work out.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'm like ILoveCade. My husband goes out one night every 2 weeks or so with friends (um, exactly what I'd like to do with the same friends) and regularly on weekends to the hardware store, etc. Plus, he works, so then (he listens to books on commute=relax time)

I probably have maybe 10 Hours out per year for "me time"= friends, shopping for me, etc. Plus, we go out together, he and I, about 6-10 times a year for dinner or Christmas shopping (3 hours). I do take the kids to the Y and church nursery. And I joined a few committees, so I get about 30 hours a year in meetings. I'd say 95% of my "me time" is at the youngest's nap time or right at bedtime, so it's easier on him, because he finds the youngest challenging.

The 4 and 6 year olds are easy though, and we're trying to get sitters, so I think in a year or 2 we'll have weekly times out! And it should increase as kids get older, so they see you have interests. They like that
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• When my kids were kids (under 12ish) almost never
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Maybe once every 2 months or so.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I've been out once without the kids for "me time" (I'm not counting drs apts and family errands) in 6 years. I figure when my daughter starts school I'll have the ability to enjoy my days and have all the me time I want, so what's a few more years?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2011