When is your son too old to go with you to the ladies bathroom?

When your son was a baby, it was natural for you to bring him with you to the women's restroom.

Now that he's older, when does it start to become awkward bringing him into the girl's bathroom?

I still take my 4 year old in with me unless my husband is with us then he goes in with him

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think when they are old enough to handle going into the men's room alone. It doesn't make me uncomfortable to see a mom bringing her son into the women's restroom with her...granted the kid isn't like 12 or anything. We all go in stalls anyways so who cares?! But yeah once your child is old enough to be able to use the restroom on his own and obviously not be frightened or worried about being alone, then there's no reason to bring him in the women's restroom with you anymore.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My sons are too old. They are 12 and 18. I would hesitate when they were younger because anything can happen if they go in by themselves... rape, they could get hurt, they could start trouble, they could be taken....etc/
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My son is 4 and I still do. I don't like the idea of sending him in a men's bathroom alone quite yet. He will go in when my husband is out with us but that isn't often, so he isn't really used to them anyway. My friend does and he boys are 5 and 3, I don't know...I guess I am just very paranoid still.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My oldest is 4 and still comes to the ladies room with me. I would say by 7 or 8 they are old enough to go to the men's room alone...although I would still wait right outside the door.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• hmmm i have been thinking about that...i probably wont let him for at least another year (he will be 5 next month) I agree with the other mommas tho...a number of things could happen! :)
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 7:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Mine were 6 when I started to send them into their own restroom.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• When they are MATURE enough to go in to the men's room without help, they no longer need mommy to take them to the ladies' room... Age has NOTHING to do with the equation, its' all about maturity!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• When you can trust them to take care of business and come back out. It also depends on the venue. At the store...it would be a younger age than at a sporting event, concert, or amusement park.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My son is 4 and he still goes into the bathroom with me. However, I have him go into the stall alone because to me that's a logical step towards going into the men's room alone. I figure when he's 5, I'll give him the option of coming in the women's room with me, or going in the men's room by himself.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It depends on the child and the restroom set up. Once the kid can use the mens room they should. There will come a point when they won't feel comfortable in the ladies room anyway. My oldest is 11 and does not come into the ladies room with me anymore. My next in line is about to be 5. There are some restrooms where I feel comfortable with him using the men's room, and some where that doesn't feel like a great idea yet. Particularly our local mall where there is an outside door marked 'mens' then a fairly long hallway and another door into the actual bathrooms. It just doesn't feel safe to me. Frankly I am not totally comfortable with my 11 y.o. using that mens room but he wouldn't be caught dead in the ladies room anymore.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2011