My child is not talking yet. He's 18 months old. Is there some way to help him?

He's 18 months old. He isn't even using the Ba, Da, Ma, etc. sounds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has that issue. He wasn't doing any vowel sounds, we got him a speech therapist, though the district school system, but no every state has that option, but look into it more, they say at 18 months they should be able to say atleast 5 words or more.
    My son finally said a full word, BALL and it had been almost 4 wks. since he said anything other then vowels or mama.
    Really keep track of the words so you can catch stuff, just in case to help development of words. And just keep praticing.
    Does your baby say up! mama, dada anything?
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I would ask the doctor, sometimes they will check out the ears, make sure the child is hearing well, and being 18 months they will most likely suggest a speech therapist (though many kids don't start talking till 2, including my son, and they learn very fast!). Since he isn't even saying the basics, I would for sure make an app. with the doc!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'd try to go him into speech therapy. He may be to young right now, but there are programs like Parents as Teachers that can work with him until 3 years old. Both of my boys have speech delays. I made the HUGE mistake of listening to people tell me things like; He's a boy they develope slower, he'll talk when he is ready. Get him the help! It'll be the best thing for both of you!
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 6:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Have you taken him into a speech therapist or talked to his pediatrician about this? The first 4 years are the most important years and my suggestion is call around ask for referrals and get him the help he needs 18 months is awfully long to not have even the basic's down like you mentioned. These are his formidable years take action NOW! Wishing you the best of luck
    dan4heather

Answer by dan4heather at 6:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• sorry I missed the other 2 posts! If you have taken him to the Dr and asked for help then find a new one!! Some times we have to FORCE them into doing what needs to be done! Be determined and hold fast to your worries! He's your child and you want what's best for him so make some calls google information and find a therapist that takes younger children. My nephew had a speech therapist at 15 months old and wow did it work wonders!
    dan4heather

Answer by dan4heather at 6:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Bottom line, no sounds get him assessed and hearing checked.

In the meantime ASL would be great to keep communication open. Check out signingtime.com
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 6:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Funny, just when I started getting worried enough, he's said a few things this morning almost clearly. He said "Where is it?" , of all things, while looking for a raisin. Maybe I was worrying too much, but appreciate all the input. I know we're not out of the woods yet. I speak sign language and might try that some with him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2011