What's your opinion about children being medicated to improve their behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I think if a child is being medicated simply to improve behavior, there's an issue.

However, I think if a child is being medicated to address a legitimate medical condition the parent has every right to seek and follow advice of a trained professional who has diagnosed and recommended treatment.

I also think it's inappropriate for a person who has not evaluated a child (or trained to do so) validate (or invalidate) a diagnosis.

ADHD is not a fraud. It is a real, albeit sometimes incorrectly diagnosed, disorder. Studies have shown that individuals that truly have ADHD have brains that function differently than a 'typical' brain - in this case, the way the body hands neurotransmitters varies from the 'norm.' In those cases, medication is needed to regulate the way the brain is handling those neurotransmitters much in the way a child with diabetes is taking medication to help their body better process or produce insulin.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think it is only NEEDED about half the time it is used anymore. It seems like every other kid is on some type of behavior medication! Don't get me wrong. Some kids really do have ADD and ADHD and they really do need meds to help them in everyday life. But many kids just need to go outside and run around!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I am in the medical field. There was a family who had 5 out of 6 children on ADHD meds. What are the odds? I think these meds are over-prescribed. It is also my opinion that many (not all) parents request these meds in lieu of spending time with their children, disciplining and parenting them. Behaviors can be modified in other ways, not just meds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i dont think its right because some docs are giving kids meds before the childs brain is even fully developed! Who knows how that will effect a kid in the long run. My ds will, unfortunatly, probably have mental health issues (we have already noticed signs of adhd/add and ocd) due to a strong family history on dhs side of the family, but we are going to do our hardest to not put him on meds unless everything else fails.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It is child abuse, and it is hypocritical. It has nothing to do with improving behavior but it is designed to make adults' lives easier by drugging kids into submission for behaviors that adults have decided are annoying or that they aren't equipped to cope with. We are trying to teach kids to stay away from drugs yet parents have no problem administering dangerous psychotropic medications to their children under the guise of medical treatment ... for a disorder that does not exist (there is no valid science that proves it, even the NIH admits that but still perpetuates the myth) and no tests that confirm it (only conjecture) but was voted into existence by a group of psychiatrists back in 1987 based on $ it would generate. Childhood is not a disease that needs treatment.

Check out my homepage for just a few books and videos that are real eye openers re: ADHD fraud, and the pseudo-science called psychiatry.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2011