Have an 9 yr old son who wants to learn to cook any suggestion on where to start?

can't afford cooking classes or anything like that it has to be something I can do at home and do it myself. Thanks

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• We started out with simple things like pancakes & grilled cheese. You really have to break everything down to step by step - what equipment you need, measuring ingredients, mixing things, etc.

Be patient & ready for a mess - but it is a lot of fun!

This website has some good tips/recipes:
    http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/cooking-with-kids/
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Start with his favorite things that you make and get him involved with the whole process. Do it together. You can start with shopping for ingredients or just with the measuring, stirring, etc. Go through main dishes, sides, desserts. Become a teacher and discuss all the steps involved. My 8 year old granddaughter is making desserts by herslef and she is so proud! Enjoy!!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree with whitepeppers. Also, check out your local library for fun cookbooks oriented toward kids. One of our favorites is "Salad People" and my oldest son brought home the "Star Wars Cookbook" from his school library. When he finds a recipe that he wants to do, he'll be really involved and open to learning.

Remember: you are going to need to be super patient. It takes about 50% longer to cook with kids and the kitchen gets about 150% more messy! DS decided he wanted to make brownies from scratch and - even though I told him that popping the mixer onto anything less than 1 would cover the kitchen with a mist of flour.....well, it seems it's a skill he's still perfecting! LOL
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:34 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• the fist one my momma taught me was pizza biscuts they are super fun and easy to make!!!!
    raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 7:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Start with having your kid help you in the kitchen - with whatever are the normal sorts of meals that you make. If you don't normally do a lot of cooking, you can get some pretty cheap and good cookbooks for things like "easy weeknight meals" or "5 ingredients or less" sorts of cookbooks.

Let them start with measuring, pouring, stirring, etc (you supervising), then work up to letting them cut and chop, etc. Talk about things like, ok, so if we were to double this recipe, how much would we need - this improves math and helps with cooking. As their skills improve, you can let them make the whole meal (while you sit in there and supervise). Expect a mess (and again, clean it together - talk about how it's important for good cooks to keep their area clean - germs in food, etc), and expect some "unusual" results - but have fun with it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:24 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Anything that comes with instructions he can read is good. Teach him how to measure stuff, and let him make mac and cheese by himself one day. It will build his confidence and he will be ready for more interesting things. I agree with the above ladies about teaching him to make his favorite foods. That will spark his interest. You can also get him his own cookbook. It doesn't have to be a kids cookbook, just easy enough to read for a 9 year old :) Then take him to the grocery store and show him all the different things he can make.It will get the wheels spinning on new ideas. Then challenge him to come up with his own recipes :) I learned to cook this way, and it was soooooo fun!!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'd get a few cookbooks at the thrift shop and look over recipes that might intrigue your young one.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Food Network has a section of their website just for that.  They do an annual campaign, and most of the hosts/chefs have done demo videos for it:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/cooking-for-kids/package/index.html

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2011