Now what do I do with this?? adult content

I thought it was me. My kids were always telling me they were bored, nothing I did made them happy. I thought maybe they were in the house too much.

This weekend they went to the zoo, seen the animals and then took them to the splash ground at the zoo. (water play area) They got to play at the park, a really nice one with swings, slides, monkey bars, etc, etc. We had a picnic and ate outdoors. When we got home they played in the yard and on the computer some.

They had a very busy day.

Although we did have a lot of fun and over all the day was enjoyable, they still complained of being bored. They still complained and whined about every little thing. Something was always wrong according to them.

Is this just kids? What gives? I thought they'd have fun and wouldn't have time to complain. What makes them so unhappy that they feel that they have to nit-pic everything and complain about it? Even simple things like a sandwich "could be better"

I can't make them happy. Now what? Why is everything "wrong" and they are always bored? I'm begining to wonder if it's not me. (or maybe it is in a different way? don't know)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I dont think its you. My 4 (almost 5) year old son does the same thing! We took him to hold monkeys and played with his cousins and it just wasn't "good enough" for him. He whined and griped...all the way home and up until bed time. I think kids just have their days or something. Hope this helps!!
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 7:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• LOL no it aint just you. My kids are the same way! I don't recall being that hard to please when I was a kid.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 7:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• This makes me think of a column I read a few weeks ago. They guy, probably in his 60's, said when he was younger you didn't dare tell your mom you were bored. If you did she would give you something to do. Put away clothes, sweep the floor, take out the trash, dust the living room, clean your room....etc. I think kids these days have too many options as far as toys and tv and such. Give them some options they might not like as much. As far as food goes you eat what I give you or you will be hungry until you do.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree with YerMami, I have an 11 yr,old and 16 yr, old and they do the same thing! I think they have too much to do unlike when we were kids and you went outside and played with the neighbor kids until dark! Kids are just different now and i think it has a lot to do with electronics ... computers, game systems etc... Kids don't need entertained all the time, they need to find ways to entertain themselves!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My eldest is this way, but he's autistic, so he resists change and complains tons. My 3 year old is content no matter what we do. And they never tell me they're bored as I will give them something to do lol (like clean their room, read a book, help me with a chore). I do think this generation coming has a sense of entitlement, and everything is instant gratification and constant entertainment (ipod, ipad, laptops) never a minute of unoccupied time to learn how to entertain themselves. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• OMG, i know what you are going thru. my kids when they were teenagers or should i say younger (they are 20 and 18 now) would complain everyday they were out of school that they were bored. i did what i could but on the weekends, couldn't do it on the weekdays because i worked unless i was off. and i got to the point where when they whined liked that, i would have them clean the house from top to bottom. believe me they didn't complain again. they have their books, computer, video games, go out in the backyard, take care of their dog and now phones to chat.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• its not just you, there was a saying when I was growing up that only boring people get bored LOL thats what adults used to tell me, I never liked to hear it, needless to say when we heard that we would go and find something other than complaining to do! lol
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2011