How does anyone feel about taking fish oil while nursing, it is from Sam's Club and has Omega 3 and 6 and CLA in it, I was looking for info or advice, thanks

TJSWIFE

Asked by TJSWIFE at 1:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've been taking fish oil since my final trimester, and now 13 months into breastfeeding. It is good for many things, esp. brain development.

You just have to be careful about which brands you choose, and ensure that the fish they obtain the oils from aren't those with high mercury content.

I've done a great deal of research on it, and believe Nordic Naturals to be one of the best out there, and it has lemon in it, so you don't get those fishy burps!

You don't need the Omega 6's or 9's, as we already get enough of those through diet.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 11:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I am currently pregnant and take a supplement which contains flaxseed oil and I took it while breastfeeding. I was advised by my doctor when I was pregnant with my son to take an Omega 3 supplement along with my prenatal vitamins. I found a really good article with some great information about Omega 3s. Basically it says flaxseed is a better source than fish oil because it contains a much higher level of Omega 3 and the process to remove toxins from the fish oil involves heating it to high temperatures which then destroys much of the nutritional value. Also part of the reason Omega 3s are so important is that in our diet we actually consume high quantities of Omega 6s and this causes an imbalance so it is best to take a supplement that does not contain Omega 6.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 1:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• This is a link to the article that talks about it http://www.thewiserway.com/html/resist-why-flax-seed-oil.html
    The supplement I take is from Arbonne and it is called Resist Essential Fatty Acid Dietary Supplement and is part of the Nutrimen C RE9 product line. www.getresults.myarbonne.com
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 1:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• My naturopath had me take fish oil while nursing me daughter (as well as giving it to her in her solids)because she had really dry skin. It worked like a charm! And it didn't do my skin any harm either :o)
    DpaigeP

Answer by DpaigeP at 10:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I took Expecta the whole time I was pregnant with Charlie until after he was born for the extra Omega-3. While I was nursing him after he was born though, his pediatrician told me that fish oil is the same only way cheaper. I have been taking it ever since. He isn't nursing anymore but I am 7 months pregnant.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 8:12 AM on Jul. 13, 2008