Anyone have a B/F/DH/S/O that is bipolar?

How do they deal?
How do you deal?
My DH is bipolar and hospitalized rt now,meds need adjusting. He has trouble with impulse control and I find this hard to deal with.

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 7:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• if it's too much to handle for you, you need to leave bipolar isn't something that just goes away you have to live with it for the rest of your life, it's a disease. I too have it not as bad as your husband from what you say but if you seriously can't handle it it's best that you get out now
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 7:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Bipolar disorder is very hard to deal with, especially since often the person with the disease enjoys the mania and has a hard time staying on track. I have family members with the disease, one is a father with 2 young kids. It is very hard on his wife, but as of now, she is willing to stay with him and try to work through it.

There are support groups for spouses of people with mental illnesses. Check out this website: www.nami.org. Good luck! I'll keep you in my thoughts.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• to 1st poster,we are divorced,trying to reconcile. The divorce came whenhe took alcohol/drug use too far( been clean 2 years)

2nd poster,thanks for the info and prayers,we are a praying family!
    RobinChristine

Comment by RobinChristine (original poster) at 8:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I totally disagree with CEWarsop. Why leave a spouse just because they have a medical condition and are trying to get help? I am bipolar and it's been quite a ride. My husband is very understanding and caring. I am medicated and seek therapy. I work very hard at trying to keep it under control but it's very hard. Like yesterday was a very hard day for me and I sat there and wondered why he is even with me. How does he deal with me? Sometimes we fight and he knows that isn't the way to make things better. Sometimes just a snap of reality-like if I get home from work and I'm all upset about something that happened and I think that someone is out to get me. He just points out that nobody is out to get me, I'm just taking it too hard and I need to realize that maybe they had something going on too. Anyway, message me if you want. GL.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My mother is and it is hard to deal with
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2011