Picky toddler help

My son is 18 months old and will only eat fruit! I guess I can't complain too much that that's his only thing he'll eat. But, he won't touch meat, he'll pick at veggies maybe, and it's hit or miss with bread, pasta, or rice. Once in awhile he'll eat beans but pretty much his diet consists of a lot of fruit. What do I do? Is he too young for vitamins?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to your doctor, but I would just let him eat fruit - Im sure your doctor will say at least he's eating. When you make him a meal always put meat, veggies, carbs and fruit out all at the SAME time. If you offer the other stuff enough times he will eventually start eating it and if you don't treat fruit like a dessert it will lose its appeal faster. Beans are an excellent food for toddlers and I would offer them every meal too. If he's eating a ton of fresh fruit I would only offer milk or water to drink not juice since he's had enough natural sugars with the solids!
    Good Luck, everything's a phase with toddlers, it's up to us to make sure the phases don't become the norm!
    Stef (the nanny from askananny.com)
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 2:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• First I would talk with the doctor to see what they think. I know when my middle one was this age he didn't eat much meat and they said kids this age don't usually like meat that much. I did make him smoothies with lots of fruit and PediaSure..to this day he is not much of a meat eater and we still make him smoothies.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My son was the same way at that age!! Maybe he just doesnt like the texture of the meat. He shouldn't be too young for vitamins...they have some where you can squirt it in a cup of juice or something. I would just talk to your pediatrician. :)
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 7:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'd juice some veggies and add into fruit juice or smoothies as suggested previously. Try things like yogurt with pureed veggies and fruit mixed in. Try soups with pureed veggies. And definitely ask the ped about vitamins.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's a faze, my son still is doing that, but lately he only wants fresh fruit, and no canned stuff. But, he does every once in a while eat different things, just keep introducing different foods and eventually something will stick other then fruit.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2011