Why would a teacher get annoyed by discovering that her new student lacks of preschool education?

A little bit of advice for the teachers. If you are in a public place where others (parents) might be listening please try to not complain about your job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yeah, if they are around the school or a group of parents of kids at the school it's probably not the best place to vent their frustration.
    As for the preschool thing... until preschool is mandatory and free for all kids then there should be no complaining in general. My son never went to preschool. We couldn't afford it and made too much money for Head Start (which was literally down stairs from our apartment). He started school in kindergarten and a week late because we had moved. He did fine. My youngest dd starts kindergarten in the fall and didn't do preschool this year since we moved and couldn't afford a traditional preschool. She did go when she was 3 1/2-4 because it's only like $180 for a full year at the Chicago Park District (Sept-May, 2 hours/day, 2 days/week).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• A teacher would complain about a child not having a preschool education probably because he/she then has to teach the child the absolute basics - putting on a coat, standing in line, not talking out in class all the time, how to separate from mom.

I don't know if the teacher was complaining in the school or in a public space, but they're human, just like everyone else and sometimes put their foot in it. The end of the year is very, very stressful.

I think too many parents expect teachers to be absolutely delighted with their kids 100% of the time. Until you've been in a class room w/ 20+ 5 year olds for an entire school year, don't judge.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I understand what you are saying although then teachers would never be able to complain about their jobs, unless they are in the privacy of their own homes or behind closed doors. Teachers are people to and they sometimes make mistakes and they sometimes say things just like everyone else. It doesn't make them bad people or bad teachers, it makes them human. Maybe no one should complain about anyone else unless they are in their own homes..I don't think that will ever happen.

Sorry if I teacher said something in a public place that offended you, take it with a grain of salt you have not walked in that teachers shoes and have no idea what else is going on in their life!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Dear YerMami24:
    The school district is the tax payers. We are the taxpayers.
    She very likely is concerned about students that have not had preschool because that student very likely will not know the thngs the other students do. The LO will be frustrated and his/her self esteem can be affected.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree...theres not a lot of people that can afford preschool! I was lucky that the school district paid for my sons tuition!
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 7:36 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I know here in MA the kindergarten curriculum is now what the 1st grade curriculum used to be years ago... only they have to squeeze it into 2.5 hours vs 6. So lack of pre-school slows the WHOLE class down because those kids need individual attention. There is a lot of pressure on these teachers to make 20 + kids ready for 1st grade in this short span of time, alone. So, if they have one or two that is not functioning at the same level as the rest of the class things are not going to go well. It can be very frustrating for both the child and the teacher. Haven't you ever been frustrated when you are expected to do the impossible with little help??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree. I overhear way more than I should!
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 7:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• There are standards that must be mastered even in kindergarten and if a child hasn't been to preschool then he/she very possibly is holding the class back and requiring extra disciplinary measures. That can be extremely frustrating for the teacher and the rest of the class. If this was someone that you overheard talking, that means you were eavesdropping and might not have gotten the entire context. I have a hard time believing that a complete stranger would "complain" to you about kids not going to preschool, but I guess it's possible.
    mjande4

Answer by mjande4 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I work in early childhood providing child development workshops for parents and teachers. IMO, teachers get frustrated for a few reasons.

Sometimes they just aren't very good teachers and don't know how to design activities that meet children at what ever developmental level they are. Sometimes they don't have enough support (help or supplies) to teach children at a wide variety of levels. Sometimes it's because they don't get paid very well and when you bust your ass everyday and can still barely make ends meet every little annoyance is magnified.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:36 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• As a preschool teacher I can tell you that most of the kids who started the year with me did not know their ABCs, could not count, could not write their name, or tie their shoes, stand in line, hold a pencil, use a pair of scissors, etc. Preschool prepares kids with the basics needed to have a great start in kindergarten. There is no reason why you can't teach your child at home the same skills, but most parents don't. The teacher is smart enough to realize that for every kids who did not attend preschool she is likely going to have to teach skills that should have already been learned, which will set back the entire class. And, when her class isn't as advanced as they should be, it will be her butt on the line for it, not the parents who didn't prepare their kids in one way or another to attend school.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2011