Would you terminate your pregnancy if you knew your unborn child was severely downs syndrome? adult content

This could be a very political debate and I don't want to start war here I was asked this question earlier tonight and have been thinking about what my answer would be.. Right now I can't say I would or wouldn't

dan4heather

Asked by dan4heather at 7:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• As a mother of a child with Down Syndrome, let me inform you that there is no such thing as "severely down syndrome". Down Syndrome affects each person on different levels, but no one is anymore "severely down syndrome" than anyone else. Also, even if you receive a prenatal diagnosis of Down Syndrome there is no way to tell at what level the child will function, you won't even know that until they're a grown adult.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Hell No, how awful!
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:47 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Well first of all, many times the test is wrong, and second of all you have no way of knowing the severtity of the condtion,, my answer is no.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:47 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• no....
    raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 7:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No. With my 2nd the perinatologist suspected Downs Syndrome based on some soft markers and that my AFP came back higher risk. I refused to do an amnio so throughout the pregnancy we weren't sure if our son would be born with it or not. If I had to do it again I'd probably get the amnio just to know for certain. The doctors really stressed me alot throughout the pregnancy with the monthly ultrasounds and at every ultrasound telling me that things looked uncertain. Ultimately my son was born perfectly normal.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No, I would educate myself and my family so everyone would be prepared and seek support groups and resources. My family is to supportive and there are to many resources available for me to consider ending my child's life because he/she isn't going to be 'perfect' But as cornflakegirl said I to would never even do the test. It only looks for red flags and even if it finds some there there is no guarantee. The prediction is often enough wrong for me not to even bother.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't think I would. A friend of mine was told her baby would have Downs and he was perfectly normal.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Those tests are wrong to many times for me to take that chance. Besides I have met people with Downs who have gone on to lead pretty normal lives. I just could not make that call.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I probably would not! I understand why people might and I would never criticize a person for the choices they make for themselves. For me I would never have the test to find out if my child had down syndrome or not therefore, I would not even know if they had it or how bad. Sometimes they are wrong as well so I think I would just deal with whatever happened.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2011