Transcription at Home and School?

I am looking at enrolling at Meditec.
They look to be a great school and have no major complaints on the BBB.
They also offer an internship program for their Medical Transcription students.
I was hoping to get some feedback from other students and current medical/legal transcriptionist.

thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• Sorry I am in the automobile sales industry but I wish you the best!
    dan4heather

Answer by dan4heather at 8:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I was thinking about doing this at home, and changed my mind. I attended a seminar, and after thinking about it, did not feel it was for me, You have to get familiar with lots of medical terms, listen to a tape (this is where it gets complicated) type out what YOU heard. You can contract with as few or as many doctors as you feel comfortable with, and we all know a doctor usually only spends about 15 minutes with each patient, so times that by 8 hours, and that is 32 patients per day, that you would be transcribing for, and they usually want them back with in 48 hours. They pay by the LINE not the hour. With an rowdy 4 year old, I did not feel that I could process enough to even make minimum wage. It is your choice, but that was my opinion. PS I type about 35 wpm.
    tcskids

Answer by tcskids at 10:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Not positive, but I think more of this stuff is getting done with computers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Ok I have been looking at school that has pretty good job placement, I currently can type 60-68 wpm, which i guess is ok lol. My oldest will be in school this year and i planned on working while my hubs is home to help watch the little one.....?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• As hospitals and medical offices move to EMR (electronic medical records), transcription and billing/coding won't exist. You need a new plan.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011