Can you recommend an electric breast pump?

Thoughts reviews or recommendations on your favorite electric breast pump.. which one would you recommenced to a friend and why? :) Thanks!!

tasha94952

Asked by tasha94952 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Oh - you asked why. lol

With my first baby, I bought a cheap-o Evenflo for around $30, thinking why in the hell would I pay $300 for one?? The motor died within THREE uses. I thought maybe I just had a bad one so I bought another one. This one died after TWO uses. The suction was awful and I thought I wasn't producing enough milk to feed my baby. I consulted a lactation nurse and rented a Medela from the hospital. Turns out I was producing plenty. But if you don't pay big bucks for the pump, then you're more likely to fail at breast feeding. I was sooo close to giving up & am glad I went with the Medela.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I want to point out...not all women respond to the pump. And just because you get nothing out with a pump doesn't mean you aren't producing anything. Baby can get milk out of the breast far better than the pump can so keep that in mind.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I used an Ameda brand breast pump and had no problems with it. I bought from the hospital.
    1catMcG

Answer by 1catMcG at 9:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• IMO Medela is very very expensive;

I had the Playtex - Petite Double Electric Breast Pump, BPA-Free(costs around $70.00) with my oldest and then had the Lansinoh - Affinity Double Electric Breast Pump(costs around $135.00) for my youngest and had great success with both of them. you can go to their websites and read up on them.

here is what they look like--

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Playtex-Petite-Double-Electric-Breast-Pump-BPA-Free/10817661?sourceid=1500000000000003260330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10817661

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lansinoh-Affinity-Double-Electric-Breast-Pump/14006063?sourceid=1500000000000003260330&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=14006063

they worked best for me and was within my budget and was what my nurses at the hospital recommended for me to use. you can also rent them from the hospital
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Medela! My friend ordered it on Amazon because it was on good sale and it was $200, it came in very nice bag with electric pump, two outlets to pump both, a bag that holds 4 ice packs, 6 bottles that you can pump in, freezer milk bags and some extra things if anything falls off or what so ever. I loved it and it was extremely nice! Most of time when you buy a electric pump and you'll have to get bottles and accessories separated and cost even more. So I got a really good deal!
    breezymommie

Answer by breezymommie at 12:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I had a Ameda never had issues with it till DH decided to wash it(GRRR) now I have a Lansinoh Affinity which I seem to respond well to.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Medela all the way.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:46 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I have 3 I have an Avent hand pump wich for some reason works better than an electric myers wic nurse said its usually the case too. Then I have a single electric medla and a double electric medela I love all of them and my best friend bought the ameda purely yours and she said it amazing but your going to get what you pay for if you buy a cheap pump its not going to last even my hand pump was $40 when I got it. And they still all work.
    val.meredith

Answer by val.meredith at 9:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I've heard a LOT of good things about Medela - an electric breast pump ranges about $300, but apparently if you can afford it, it's well worth it. I've never used one myself - what I'm saying is solely based on women buying them at my work (Toys R Us - used to work in the baby department).

However, I would only recommend an electric one if you're going to be pumping once a day or more. If you're only going to be pumping when needed, a more affordable hand pump is definitely reasonable. I had an Avent hand pump and LOVED it. It was easy on me (and I've heard that electric ones tend to be not so) and did what it needed to do. The one I had was only about $70, and the entire Avent line can fit into the pump. The Medela line is the same in that sense, but even the bottles and accessories are more expensive, whereas Avent really is not.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I have a double Medela Pump-in-Style electric pump. It has two outlets to pump both at the same time, and a knob to adjust suction. It was right around $300, but it works extremely well! Loved it while I was nursing!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2011