Spinoff of why was life better 100yrs ago?

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."

Anyone know who said this? It's pretty much what a lot of you were saying in that thread. About how kids today are materialistic, they don't listen or have respect for anyone, they don't pay attention in school or say please and thank you. Kids TODAY, but not when you were a kid, right?

This quote is from Socrates. Kids have always been disrespectful of authority. There's always been rape and murder, heck, it's in the first chapter of the Bible. We are better off now than we ever have been, but we also hear about everyone's business. You really want the difference between now and 100 years ago? Look at the media. They report EVERYTHING. You know why no one heard about what Kennedy did as president? The media didn't report on his personal life, because it had nothing to do with his job. But we know where the Obamas went on vacation, we've seen pictures of Monica's blue dress, how about Marc Weiner for god's sake. It's just because we know too much. A hundred years ago when some teenager murdered someone, you only heard about it in town. Now you hear about teenage murderers in other countries.

That's why we think the world (or even just the country) is going to hell in a handbasket- because for the first time ever, we are watching it go down!

Comments? Agree? Disagree?

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 8:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Very true!! Thank you for sharing
    dan4heather

Answer by dan4heather at 8:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• ~It is a shame that we haven't learned anything from the mistakes our past generations made!
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Great post. I've always thought the same thing. What about the mid-evil times when people were afraid to leave their homes? There have always been hoodlums.

I've always loved the nostalgia of the 1940's & 50's. Everything seemed so peaceful and respectable, but really - is that how the world was? What good is being respectful to your elders during the day and burning a cross in a black man's yard at night? Or respected citizens stringing a man up to die because he took a drink from a water fountain?

There was, is and will always be war, disrespect, greed, etc. in our world for the simple fact that we're all human. The times may have changed, but the human core hasn't.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Great post, thanks!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:06 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Agree OP. I the ripe old age of 29 I have found my self evil-eying the neighborhood kids when they walk on our lawn or when thier baseballs end up in our yard...even asking my husband why a young man would want to wear slightly sagging, skin tight, bright purple pants with his hat on crooked covering a mop of hair that badly needed a hair cut.

On the other hand, why would a young man wear slightly sagging, skin tight, bright purple pants?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• P.S. Life at the turn of the century was pretty horrible for a lot of people, especially women. Apparently the poster(s) who thought it was has never read about the industrial revolution.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes, voyeurism and narcissism are much too prevalent in our society today. We are bombarded with info (much of it useless) via media and social networking. It used to be you had to do something to receive praise, a salary, etc. Now, you can have your 15 minutes of fame for being a dumb ass (Jersey Shore, anyone)?

As I get older, I do long for the simpler days but I'm not naive enough to believe that change doesn't happen. It's just that with technology and the digital age, it seems to be happening at lightning speed. When is enough enoough? What is this overstimulation doing to us as a society?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I have no doubt that child rearing has been a debate topic for the ages and that being a parent himself, Socrates felt that the children of his time needed more disciple in certain areas. Here's what really stands out to me, though. I see the utter disrespect that many children have for their parents and any other adult in authority. I believe it is only getting worse because as a society we are no longer holding people responsible for their actions. Things that would not have been tolerated 20 years ago are dismissed away now - you can bet I would have NEVER spoken to my parents the way I see children bossing their parents around now. For years society has worried about the self esteem issues of kids and now we have created entire generations of "me" centered people. I'm not saying kids should rise when an adult enters the room, but there does need to be a limit and it needs to be enforced.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes, it's true. You find the same themes throughout literature and history books from all throughout the past. And parents have always railed against it, because that's what parents do.

I think the media, while meaning well, makes things worse. Makes us think every house is being broken into, every child abducted (why anxiety is up, though crime is the same or down from when I was a child),... we no longer only need to experience the tragedy of our friends and neighbours, but of the whole world.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• True, there has always been crime, there has always been children that disrespected authority. But what is happening is parents and the law are not disciplining as much. Things are moving into "it's ok, they are children and going to do it anyway." It's is our job as parents to teach right from wrong. When things are sensationalized, when things are just accepted, then it becomes the norm. In my day if a girl was known to be having sex, she was a slut, even if it was just one boy. Now you are ostracized if you are a virgin. If you got caught stealing, you would end up in juvenile hall. Now you MIGHT get a few hours of community service and a "don't worry, your record goes away when you are 18, but your parents will pay your fines." What is that teaching children? Crime will never go away, but you can bet in my day there wasn't as many dead parents at the hands of their children as their are today.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2011