Child support...spinoff

Should a parent who receives child support be required to prove that they are spending all that money on the child? Let's say you receive $500/month in child support....and the following are your bills..

Rent - $750 ( low balling here)
Child Care - $500
Car - $700 (Gas, insurance, and payment)
Food - $400

Hasn't just that already justified the $500? Should anyone care what the mother spends her money on as long as the child is cared for?

If I did not have a child then I could live in a small one bedroom apartment in the ghetto. Yes I do choose to live in a nice neighborhood because I can afford it(without child support) I would not have a child care bill. I would not have as much of a food bill. Gas wouldn't be as high because I wouldn't be toting her to activities....

And on that note...should both parents be required to contribute to activities such as sports, dance, music and what not....

Opinions please.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My ex keeps asking the court to make me produce an itemized list of how I spend the child support on his child. The court keeps laughing in his face. In fact the last time he said it the judge threatened to send him to jail for comtempt of court.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 11:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think that the parent receiving child support should have to prove what they are spending the money on. Except in a situation where the child appears to be neglected.
    As for the activities, if both parent's wish the child to be in activities then they should share the costs. Or have the child support increased to accomodate such expenses.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• most states base support on the income of both parents and the time the child spends with each parent......the only time either parent should have to prove anything is if the children are being neglected or if the paying parent stops paying......other than that neither should have to prove anything to the other......(and i say this as a parent who recieves support for my children......i've never been asked to prove what i do with the money, i dont ask for extra for the ex for anything and i dont be little him about his life style) .....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• The parent who is paying child support needs to quit being so self centered and stop listening to their new spouse so much. The support they pay is decided by a formula and isn't a penalty. If someone doesn't want to pay support they shouldn't have kids. 

Anonymous

• I think if your into punishing the Supporting parent for not paying, then it should be fair to prove that those efforts of paying are being used in the manner they are meant for.

Why should I someone pay child support and go hungry and almost live in poverty only to find out mommy is buying new outfits with it? I'd be pissed and persuing legal actions. If the custodial parent doesn't have any legal obligations, then neither should the supporting parent...fairs fair.

Spoken like a bitter new wife who is mad she has to get a job to pay for more children. Whine, whine whine.lol
    Anonymous

• I agree with Amanda. I personally go above and beyond with my kid.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think if anything the father who does not pay child support should have to prove what he spends his money on.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I totally agree with you. And you don't have to prove where it goes. It's the mothers who dress their kids in rags, I'm not talking about used clothing, I'm talking ill fitting, stained torn, out of date, etc. and they are out getting their hair done, have the trendiest clothing, their nails are always done at a salon, etc. that make other fathers believe that all women are spending it on themselves. I know one man who says all a woman has to do is spread her legs and get paid for it for 18 years. He doesn't feel that children need child support at all.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Been there done that with this argument in court in front of a judge because my ex wanted proof and I can only tell you what the judge said and I agreed. He stated that the money my ex was paying was to help me pay bills like rent for a bigger place to live, higher electric bill, cable, toys, clothes, food etc because if I did not have the kids I would not have those higher bills. He went on to tell him he lives in a 1 bdrm has no other responsibility but for himself, and if he chooses to remarry he would do so knowing his prior obligations to his children. In any case the judge explained he was getting quite a deal at only having to pay $800 a month, given I had a 5 bdrm home.

Answer by gemgem at 9:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i also agree with amanda's answer...good luck..
    monkin38

Answer by monkin38 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 20, 2011