What should i say to this mom?

I run a parenting group and about 4 months ago one of the kids (6y) in my group had a cancer relapse. He's on his 2nd round of chemo, he's lost about 15lbs (which is amazing because he was only about 45 to begin with) his hair is gone, he can barely eat because he's got really bad mouth sores...i could go on and on with all the horrible things he's experiencing.

His mom has a blog site where she gives updates about his condition and what's going on and has asked everyone to leave comments so the two of the can read them together. She says the both really like hearing from others.

I've commented about once a month but as his condition gets worse and worse i'm running out of things to say. We're not very close, I only know them from the parenting group, but i feel so sad for them I feel like the least i could do i leave a comment on the blog.

Any ideas?  

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• You could try to find a book of daily encouraging words or phrases and write use those...something to lift spirits and hearts.
    Holland04

Answer by Holland04 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• You dont need to say anything but just be there for them. My husbands son died at a week old and he still doesnt like talking about it. His friends from then are still around and we dont mention it unless he brings it up. He tells me more obviously as his wife, and we know soon we have to tell our dd she once had a brother but its a touchy subject. Just be a friend to her. You dont have to say anything. Maybe make some meals to help her out too. It really does help just to have someone bring over a meal they can reheat when their child is that ill.

Answer by gemgem at 9:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• just remind them both how strong they r & how brave maybe find a beautiful pic online & send it 2 them & say i saw this & thought of u thought u might like to see a beautiful pic 2day if he is homebound or hospitalbound other than that just for them 2 know u were thinking about them im sure helps i will keep them in my prayers bless their hearts its tough 2 battle a illness as horrible as cancer i hope u will find the words 2 continue talking to them cuz im sure they both appreciate it its probly one of the highlights of his day :)
    CandelariaMama

Answer by CandelariaMama at 9:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Thank you ladies. Excellent advice.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Oh that is a tough one!

Well, if you are having a hard time trying to figure out what to write you could create a trend and keep with it so they will always look forward to your messages and it will be easier for you to know what to write next. An example, you could put some humor into their life with some funny jokes and sign it with a nice message to show you care.

How do we know the Indians were the first people in North America?
    They had reservations.

How do you make a hot dog stand?
    Steal its chair.

Always thinking of you, Love Mary
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 9:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• How tragic. I know I am touched/feel better just knowing people are there if I need them and that they are praying for me. It doesn't matter if it is almost the same thing being said each time. Sometimes there isn't much people can say.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• you know, I think I would leave kid's jokes. I'm sure he likes hearing well wishes, but i bet he wishes he could forget about it every once and awhile. Get a kid's joke book and leave a comment "Laugh of the day" and tell a joke or two.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• ask the kids to dictate a story,maybe you can start it,make it silly( I saw a cow in my driveway...)have each child take a turn going off of what was last said,who cares if it dont make sense the sillier the better.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 12:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think, as someone else said, to find a book of inspirational quotes. Or, there is a book with the wackiest laws in the US and you could write them out just for their entertainment! Something the child would look forward to reading (there is one law I remember hearing about, that it's illegal to walk around with an ice cream cone in your back pocket lol). Just silly things to lighten the mood. Especially since the child is reading it as well!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2011