Is this a valid reason to deny your child dental visits & care?

Is just bc your childs teeth will fall out reason enough to not take them to a dentist make them brush their teeth, or limit sweets?

My sister refuses to do any of the above bc according to her they will fall out anyways. Her childrens teeth are chipped forming decay on them and are only brushed maybe once a week if that. And he is never given water he goes to sleep with a bottle of gaterade or soda/juice every night. She has started the same habits with her second child. She wont take anything seriously she says they are going to fall out anyways. I told her if they get bad enough they will need to be surgically removed in which case she said she wouldnt allow it bc eventually they would fall out on their own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sure they are going to fall out....but good habits start early. She is okaying bad habits from the beginning. Besides, the health of the mouth can affect the permanent teeth even before they come in.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Even though they will fall out, not taking care if them will affect the permanent teeth
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Decay causes toothaches. This does not concern her? It's true that the baby teeth will fall out,  but a basic dental check-up is a good thing ESPECIALLY when......you see that your child has tooth decay already. Personally, I limited sugar. I was fearful of my girls getting tooth decay/toothaches etc. Also, not teaching her child any brushing habits is just inexcusable. Baby teeth don't fall out for several years and no regular brushing all that time?  I just can't fathom it.  Sounds like a lazy mother full of excuses to me.  

KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• We take care of our kids' teeth, but I will not pay $200 (my half after insurance) for another filling of a baby tooth unless it is hurting my child (note that my younger daughter is the only one with baby teeth still and she's 11 so they aren't going to be around for too much longer) - last time the filled tooth waited less than a month before it was loose and out. Your sister needs to develop good care habits and she wouldn't have to worry so much about taking the kids to the dentist.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• they will fall but kids need to get in the habit of taking care of their teeth or they wont when their adult teeth come in either

esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Our dentist told us there is no reason to take a child to the dentist until they get their adult teeth unless they are having issues. But of course we are still doing our best to teach them to brush. What little limits we do place on sweets have nothing to do with teeth though, just overall health and teaching moderation...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It wouldn't be a valid excuse in my house.  Mine go to the dentist and have since they got their first tooth.  As someone who has had extreme problems with my own teeth, no way would I wait to take my kids in until they have adult teeth.  And every dentist is different and each is going to have their own opinion.  Look this up on google.  Baby teeth can affect adult teeth.  Maybe if you could get her some proof she would take it more seriously babes.  That's just sad.  My parents did the same thing to me, and my adult teeth were decaying as soon as they came in. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• There isn't a reason to go to the dentist unless there is a problem. As far as the decay, there are plenty of children I have known that have been raised the same as your sisters children and their teeth are not decayed, not the first ones. There is usually a reason for early decay and it usually has to do with medication the mother took while pregnant or the children have taken. In the case of first bad teeth, the second ones will also be bad. Not grow in with decay, but be more likely to get it, be more brittle, etc. I lived with this myself. My mother spent thousands at the dentist which was A LOT back then, on my first teeth, and the only thing it did was make me terrified of the dentist when I got older. There is nothing you can do if the damage is done. But good habits do start early and she should be teaching them that.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• We want to have good oral hygiene because the infected tooth has roots and can infect the gums, the next teeth, the body.
    We can't always see decay & problems, but if we do then it's time to deal with it!
    Legally she needs to care for the children's heath and safety. This is her responsibility.

Personally, I disagree with her parenting choices~ I would definitely give limits to the intake & times that sweets are given. Especially (!!) not at bedtime (bottle).

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• not taking care of baby teeth can affect their permanent teeth when they come in.
    abannist

Answer by abannist at 10:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2011