Is preschool important?

My oldest just turned 3. I feel like I need to get him involved in an organized classroom to work on his ability to listen and follow instructions so he will be better prepared for school.
Did/do you feel preschool is important? Was it expensive? Did you have a wait list? When did you start planning for your childs education?

love2snorkel70

Asked by love2snorkel70 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Pre school was a VERY POSITIVE experience for my DD. No, it is not a NEED, but imo it is also not a disadvantage. My DD loved going. She learned the routine of a classroom, made new friends, and learned new things. It really helped her socialize even better. She's a shy one. I am very glad I signed her up. She is ready and excited to start Kindergarten this Fall.

I paid $102/mo for a 3 day a week program through the local park district.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I feel it is, my DD thrived from preschool. She will be 5 Wed. She can read, write, count to 100 and do many other things because of preschool. Also my working with her helped also.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 10:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• ( I want to preface this with the fact that just because a child doesn't go to a traditional preschool does not mean they cannot be sucessful in school..if their parents work with them) Having said that, I did send my kids to traditional preschool.By traditional I mean a few days a week for about 2 and a half hours a day. Not in a daycare...there is a difference. And yes it helped.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:54 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I felt it was important for my son, but he went to public school pre-k, there was no charge. My daughter will go into pre-k when she is old enough!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• NO! I did not send my oldest son to preschool and he's doing just wonderful in school. I won't be sending my other two either. There is simply no reason for it! You can teach them everything they need at home. And children who have a parent working with them and educating them one on one in their preschool years do much better in school in the long run! If you want your son to have social skills join a play group or something. But at 3 & 4 kids need to be home with their parents, not shuffled off to school yet.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:13 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Our public school does have a pre-K, it runs for 3 weeks just to get the kids acclimated before the real school year starts, I do support that and think it's a great way to get them comfy before they actually have to start.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• it depends on what your area provides. my hometown has always had a free preschool, untill reacently with budget cuts they ended up having to pay a tuition. check with the school system to see what it cost, but i think it will be worth it to help your child be ready for school. he will know how to act in the classroom setting and give him a headstart on learning.
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Ye sit is important. Studies show that the more time in preschool before Kindergarten the better off they will be. My DS is in a part time preschool right now through Daycare, there was a small wait list, and I pay $260 a month. I have him signed up for Sure Start next year. It's preschool through the actual elementary school. In that school he will learn the basics, ABC's, 123's, etc, but will also be learning Italian (we are stationed in Italy) and learn Sign Language.
    It just gives them a better chance to succed when it really "counts".
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Preschool can be a very positive, beneficial experience but I wouldn't say it's a necessity. There are studies that indicate children get a boost but there are other studies indicating the benefit dissipates by the 3rd grade. Both my kids attended preschool and they loved it. The basics? Sure, we played games and interacted at home in a way that taught them basic academic skills (and then some) at home. We also selected a preschool that understood age appropriate instruction and focused on hands-on, interactive learning which some confuse with "just playing." They kids learned to function in a classroom setting which did help them when they began kindergarten. Our K program is a 1/2 day. Frankly, if we had a full-day K, I'd be 250% behind preschool. Going from nothing to all-day K is a HUGE leap. At least part-time pre-K helps acclimate kids to the concept of school!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Honestly Mommy, it is two sides of the same coin and there are sooooooooo many choices. Can they learn at home, of course...or at few hours at preschool of course. They can make friends at school, but they can do that in play groups too. If it is important to you that your cutie get used to a school environment, just a few hours a day a few days a week can accomplish that at a local preschool. There is no reason they have to jump right into full time. This is a fun time what ever you decide.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2011