Parents taking a vacation without their children...

Do parents deserve a break? How long is too long to be away from your little ones? Do you ever vacation without your kids? How old were they the first time you went away over night?

love2snorkel70

Asked by love2snorkel70 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• A solid week for grandparents to do all the spoiling they want with no interference from parents, while parents get a solid week of not telling anyone "no" or "stop" or "not now"? I'm only sorry my son never had the chance to do that before all his grandparents were gone. Even then, he's stayed with aunts and uncles, spending time with cousins.

Some of my best memories from childhood are from time staying with my grandparents. Some of my worst are of trying to babysit my much younger cousin while our parents were at a funeral after he spent the first 10 years of his life never being away from his mother longer than a school day. Our mothers were gone for all of 6 hours - he was about 2 seconds away from a nervous breakdown, looking out the window every 2 minutes, complaining about how he hoped they were having fun (yes, at a funeral).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I soooo want to do this.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 10:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• yes i have and yes i will ...as long as your child is being well cared for by an adult you trust (ie my mother or sister) then it good to get in a little me time to remember your a person out side of just being mommy/wife.......try this phrase HAPPY WIFE/MOMMY HAPPY LIFE......meaning if mommy/wife are a happy person then the rest of the family will be happier too.....

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• sure they do! kids get to go to camps, grammas and sleepovers..why can't parents?
    the longest i've been away has been 2nights..and that's been about 2 1/2yrs ago. i'm ready to do it again..although, i'd like to be alone, not with dh! lol!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It is supposed to be better for your marriage to spend at least one date night a week, one weekend a month and a whole week every year alone, no kiddos. I have rarely had overnighters myself, but I would love to have a week with just my hubby. DS left with Grandma or Aunty.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes, I have vacationed without my children. My husband and I were gone for 4 nights while they stayed with my parents. At the time, my daughter was 6 and my son was 2. I think it's good for your marriage to get away together occasionally without children.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I feel that it is a personal choice. If you feel you need it then you need it. No one, and I mean no one knows what you and your husband needs to make your marriage and family work.

Every once in a while my DH and I will go away without the kids. The grandparents take them. Usually it is just for a night or 2 on an anniversary. The longest was for 5 days and it was (wow 14 yrs ago....I think we need another trip!!! LOL ~kids were 3 & 1, they are now 17, 14 & 8).
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 10:29 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't think there is anything wrong with parents taking some time to themselves and enjoying a grownup vacation as a couple. I would love to do that. We have a lot of kids though and overnight is about the most my family can handle with all of them.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• We went on a trip in Europe -to Spain-without the kids ( the youngest was 3 months)when we were stationed in Germany.We had our housekeeper and her husband take care of the kids at their farm and they had the best time. Then the next year we drove to Paris (about 4 hours away) for our Anniversary. Its a good thing to be a COUPLE, husband and wife, not just mom and dad. We made a point of having a vacation for ourselves at least once a year. Our kids didn't suffer at ll. They are now adults and I don't think it hurt them anyway! LOL. Really, your marriage should come first.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's not just to get away from the kids; it's to be able to vacation somewhere you realistically can't take the kids.

I'm not taking my 3 and 6 year old on a 20 mile hike. Does that mean I can't go until they are old enough to hike 20 miles or until they are adults? Clearly not.

There is nothing inherently wrong with parents-only vacations!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 5:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011