When I was a kid and we forgot our lunch we were given a PB&J.. what do they give kids now?

DH and I were talking about this last night, with the new allergy outbreak against peanuts what do they give kids who forget their lunches at school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in

• Elementary school--graham crackers and yogurt and milk.
    Middle and high school--NOTHING.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• in my school we'd go to the cafeteria and say that they'd give us a full meal and let us pay an other day.
    SamJ321

Answer by SamJ321 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• cheese and crackers or a call home to bring lunch
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• If they don't have a lunch or forget lunch money they give them whatever is on the lunch menu. If they forget for a few days in a row I think they then give them sandwiches.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• +really?? if we forgot our lunch we didn't eat.. but maybe that was just in HS, I don't remember the earlier days..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• At our school they don't pay cash, they each have an account number. Parents can prepay on the account, or get a bill at the end of the month. You can tell the school if they are allowed to charge lunch only, or snacks or beverages too and set up maximum amounts for snacks and milks. So if a kid forgets their lunch, the school just gives them a cafeteria lunch and puts it on their account.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:38 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'm allergic to peanuts and was always given what was served for lunch if I forgot mine. It's a pretty easy allergy to avoid as long as you make sure people know and constantly ask "what's in that". If there's no ingredient list then it's probably not safe. I would also assume with the schools being more aware they have extra precautions of what does have peanuts and find other alternatives
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• That was before middle school years.. When they can't let you go hungry.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• We also have a lunch account. When it gets low they send a note home. They can go up to five dollars in the hole before the parent is called.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• This was 20 almost 30 years ago so I know times have changed! elementary students when I was in school used to get PB&Js in the 80's and very early 90's. My girls don't have an allergy but I know most schools have cut PB completely off their menus. Gotta love small town schools and their ticket systems still ;-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2011