Gerbils vs cats?

I have 2 gerbils and 2 cats. the older cat likes to watch the gerbils but doesn't jump on their cage. My younger cat on the other hand no matter what the punishment doesn't learn his lesson and just keeps jumping on their cage trying to get the gerbils. we have to keep the door shut when we leave, when we go to bed, or just plain not even in the room where the gerbils are because of my younger cat.
We yelled at it, threw water on him, took him out ourselves and nothing works. any body have ideas for how i can get my cat to stop harassing my gerbils

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Pets

• Unfortuately cats have very independent personalities and don't respond to training as well as some other animals. More than likely, no matter how many times you repeat a disciplinary action, a cat is going to just shrug it off. Your best bet is to just *try* to keep them out of reach ( I know, near impossible with a cat). Sorry I don't have any good suggestions for training a kitty
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• We had the same problem. What we did was put the gerbils in a 10 gallon fish tank. It has a hard top and the cat couldn't get in to them and if the cat stared and they didn't like it, they had little places to hide.  We haven't had gerbils for several years, but I loved to watch them scurry about!

AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's not the cats fault! You are confusing the poor cat! He instinctually sees food, and you ae punishing him! I didn't even try to let them be around mt rats and hamsters, I just kept them separate. Cats are smart, even with a tank, I've seen them figure out how to open the cage. They are very intelligent when it comes to hunting.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Dont let the cats in the room with the gerbils. You can't blame the cats for wanting to kill them.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2011