Teacher issue

At the end of the year my dd's teacher sent home a note that was basically thanking parents for entrusting our kids with her. Had she sent this note home before my dd was in her class I would have immediately requested placement in a different class. The letter had no less than 10 spelling and puncuation errors in it. It was absolutely horrible. Not only that but there were quite a few improper words used. Such as "I enjoyed have your child in my class." The more I have thought about it the more it annoys me. This letter was sent out to the whole class. I have been thinking about taking it up to the principal or the school board. It isn't all that hard to use spell check. What do you think?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• makes you wonder how she made it through college!
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I know how to spell and use grammer, but at times when I type fast,, like on here,, I make a mistake,, she was coming from a good place, and I think you just need to let it go. Yes, she should have proofread it, but perhaps she was just busy,, and there are much bigger things to get upset about.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'm a retired teacher and I agree with you.  I would show the letter to the principal.

www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

LAG33

Answer by LAG33 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes, show the letter to the principal, don't bother going to the teacher. I would also absolutely let the principal know that the kids are grading their own homework. I get what everyone is saying about it being the end of the year, etc., but this is a TEACHER making grammatical, spelling & punctuation mistakes. Inexcusable. I'm a lousy speller & I always use spell-check.

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

•  Obviously this wasn't even proof read. It's embarrassing for the teacher, however I know end of school year is hectic and teachers can be overwhelmed like the rest of us. If other notes and weekly letters throughout the year were grammatically correct I would let this slide, but if you feel this is consistent with the teachers writing and editing skills, I would forward the note to the principal of the school.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My dd was only there two months. This is the only thing I got that was written by her. My dh was livid.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• When my son was in 3rd grade one of his friends got a note sent home to his parents about his behaviour........his mother called me and made me come see it. We were astounded, out of about 20 words, at least 8 were misspelled and more punctuation errors than we could believe. It was a hand written note. I think she did report it to the principal.

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i think that teachers have so much going on at the end of the year, like the million things that have to be turned in on the last day. be glad that she thought enough to bother writing the note. even if you take the note to the school board they have all the stuff they have to work on. i dont think they will bother with it. so what she forgot to spell check and proof read she has tons of other stuff that are more important than an letter going on right now.

esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• you are over thinking this , let it go and deal with the real issues of life
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• BTW--this is the only thing I think you have ever asked that I disagree with you about,, LOL,, so the more I thought about it, how did she do for the 2 months she was there,, what did homework come back like,, did the teacher circle or mark when she did something wrong?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2011