Did your SO think Fathers day was a day off from being a father?

Mine sure did we had a bbq and everything my kids asked him was no not today it kinda made me upset I get it our friends and family were here but y couldn't he have put the trampoline up for the kids to play on

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it could be their day off from "work" things like mowing the law, fixing things, washing the cars, etc. but not from playing with their kids. Heck, I wanted a day off from housework.....how is that any different?

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No. He got to sleep in and he picked where he wanted to go out for a special lunch. After all that though, he offered to take care of our son alone for a couple hours so my preggo butt could take a nap.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Sorry to hear that... I understand Fathers day is a day where dad was to be spoiled a little, just like mom's do on mothers day. but that does't mean you completely drop all your responsibilites as a parent! if it wasn't for the kids you wouldn't have any reason to be celebrated on that day. maybe just casually bring it up in conversation and hopefully next year will be better!
    abannist

Answer by abannist at 10:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I meant, I wanted a day off from housework on Mother's Day.*

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Well I know on Mothers day, for me, its a reminder for me and I choose and want to be around my son the whole day, maybe I haven't gotten to that point of needing a special day or outing for myself but my DH left at 7am for golfing, came back and ate and was watching golf with my dad the rest of the night until I put our son to bed, then he "felt bad" he didn't get much time with our son.. really??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No. We went to Sunday school and church yesterday morning as usual. Then the afternoon was spent by my husband preparing to host a bonfire complete with hot dogs and marshmallows for all of our 13 children and grandchildren. The fire was lit at dusk and at 11:00 P.M., everything was finally put away, cleaned up mostly by the man whom they came to honor, although the boys did pitch in and help. The family's gift to him was a brand new smoker which Dad has wanted for a very long time. His response?? "Oh, good, now I can cook for you guys in style!!" My hubby would much rather be giving than receiving, which is truly the mark of love!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Nope, dd kept saying "happy fathers day, I love you daddy" and I had to work so he was kinda stuck. I think there are some things they shouldn't have to do but it's a day of celebrating being a father... Not a day off. If anything they should be with the kids al day like we try to be on mothers day.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Well,my dh had to work. :/ we went out for breakfast, he left at 11, then didnt get home until 9:45. Kinda stunk :(
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• heck no! My son's dad spent the entire day with him :) that's all he wanted...
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• YES! and that is always our gift to one another! On Mother's day, he does all diapers,bottles, cleaning, and cooking! and I do the same for him, and it is great since when he is not working ( army) we split everything 50/50! I like the idea, and so does he! It is nice to have a day free of child responsibility! Just our way of doing things! NOW he still p[layed with the kids, swam with them, and had a blast!

JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2011