My 2 year old son does fantastic potty training during the day but night time is a different story. He's night and day--literally and figuratively. HELP!

Potting training my Ben is going great during the day. He comes to tell me when he needs to potty and accidents are rare.

Then he goes to bed.....

He peed the bed twice last night. Once at 1 a.m. and once a 4 a.m.

What do you do? Should I wake him up to pee? Ride it out in hopes he'll get the swing of things at night?

This is the start of week #2 in potty training him.

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 11:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is not unusual for kids to wet the bed up until age 5, it has to do with the size of the bladder, and how deeply they sleep, nothing wrong mamma, he is just too little to wake up from the urger, night time pull ups, and soon enough he will know how to wake up when he gets the urge. Please don't with hold liquids from him or anything else, he will learn it soon!!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Its ok and totally normal for the night time to be more challenging. If he goes to bed before you, you can try to wake him up and have him go..if you dare. Otherwise make sure you are staying consistent with him going every 2 hours during the day to help empty his bladder.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My daughter barely stopped wetting the bed at night since I have only been giving her one cup of a juice a day and the rest of the fill ups are of water. She tends not to drink the water when she goes to bed. So that helped. If it didnt help I was gonna start buying the night time pull ups.
    shar-hulk

Answer by shar-hulk at 11:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It can take years for them to be dry at night. It is a matter of the bladder and brain maturing to be able to be dry through the night. It is not related to day time training. Use pullups at night.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 12:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Totally normal. It usually takes around six months after they're daytime potty trained to figure out night time.

Things that should help:
    1) nothing to drink at least an hour before bed
    2) go potty right before he climbs into bed
    3) go potty as soon as he wakes up in the morning
    4) expect accidents
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• He's still very young... try pull-ups at night, undies during the day. It could be that he's sleeping so deep the impulse to urinate is not enough to wake him up just yet. Give it time.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My son wears pull ups at night, and 2 years old for a boy is young to expect him to be completely potty trained.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• doctors say it's actually considered normal to wet the bed up until 10 years old (though it's dependent on each individual child when it stops) He doesn't have the bladder to hold it over night yet. You can try cutting fluids an hour before bed, waking him up once or twice a night to go (I personally just don't like to disturb his sleep.) or you can put him in a pull up at night until he starts waking up dry. I always recommend having them go before bed as well.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:15 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Definitely diapers/pull ups at night till he wakes up dry or is a bit older. Night time training is remarkably different than daytime. It's also a very fragile situation (just as day time training can be) and if he keeps wetting the bed it can be discouraging to him and set him back months! So wait on this for a bit, plus they say boys take longer to night train than girls, sometimes till age 5! Best thing you can do to move the process along is during the day have him stretch the amount of time in between going therefore building up bladder control.
    Take a look at more tips on this subject in my post "Is my Son's Sippy Cup Leading to Bed Wetting?" on askananny.com
    http://www.askananny.com/Ask_A_Nanny/Q_%26_A/Entries/2011/4/11_Is_my_sons_sippy_cup_leading_to_bed_wetting.html
    Good Luck!
    Stef (the nanny from askananny.com)
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 1:59 PM on Jun. 21, 2011