Is this heriditary?

I was just curious...When are babies old enough to manipulate? I ask this bc i have a 2 month son, and i know hes not old enough yet but i want to know what to do when he trys and how i can be a persistant mother, Im nervous about how i will act or something and if i will be firm enough. I know this is probably weird to be thinking about when he is so young and i have no other children but his father (which i am no longer with and he doesnt see my son at al) was very very manipulative and i know its just bc the way his mom raised him and all but is this heriditary or is it the parents who shape the childs behavior? If so is there a website or someone who would like to share info with me and also share info on how to be persistant but not mean and how i am sopposed to do this? Feel free to add/message me if u have advise on this question bc i would like to make friends who are also mothers that can share their experience with me on how to do this.

renah164

Asked by renah164 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• well, that is a good question. i think its the way you are raised. kids will try to get away with things. and say please so much and just try to get away with anything. just get on their level( starts around 2ish) and really speak with them. make sure the child knows you are in charge. i have a hard time with dd who is 2 and its difficult but not impossible. don;t worry about it. enjoy your little baby. hold him and kiss him and don;t put him down unless you have to because it goes way too fast. good luck!
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• yeah, I don't think it is HEREDITARY . Just be loving and consistent. When he is a toddler, he might try to manipulate but if you don't give in, everything will work out fine. You are worrying way too much! Just enjoy your baby!!!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• just remember if you said no stick to it. do not turn around just because they pitch a fit or something and give them what they want or they will know they can get away with anything. if you end up spanking, dont apologize or the child will know they can play on your guilt. stick to your guns and let them know you wont bend. and above all esle PICK YOUR BATTLES. cant stress that enough. that last one i'm still working on. lol good luck, it sounds like youwill be fine though.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 12:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011