Have you perfected the prep, cooking and serving for a BBQ?

What tips can you give me?? I thought I was totally prepared for a small 5 adults, 4 kids bbq yesterday and it is still so chaotic getting dinner on the table... what am I doing wrong?

Having another this Saturday, 5 adults, 5 kids under 6. Help! Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

As a sub question here, do you make something different/special for the kids or do you make your whole menu kid friendly?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 12:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes, and make a separate kids menu - they usually opt for the simple stuff.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• We always start turkey dogs first and corn on the cob for the kiddos. They can snack away on a veggie tray. Once the dogs are ready we serve them and start our own food to cooking. They play so hard that by the time we get our food ready they will eat some of our food too. We bbq every Sunday for DH's kids and their families. I try to make everything up the morning of the bbq and have it ready to hit the grill.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• what did you serve?
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I do as much prep work as I can ahead of time. All of my sides are make ahead like pasta salad, fresh veggies, etc. I grill a meat that I have marinated ahead of time so that it has a lot of flavor with very little work. Dessert is also a make ahead type thing. If you are having others come over, ask them to bring a side dish with them as well. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I write things down.

I get a list of everything I want to make. My kids are kind of picky - so I try to always make hot dogs and serve chips (two things I know they will eat). I will write down prep time and cook time. That way I can get a good schedule of making everything so I can get it all done relatively at the same time.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I made baby back ribs, that were super easy, low and slow in the oven, just broiled at the end....I made bacon wrapped chicken kabobs, they were already prepped and ready for the grill, also grilled veggies, guests brought a pasta salad....

I think the issue is that the kids always seem to be hungry, need to be fed first and really make it all chaotic...I swear I'm thinking of ordered a pizza for the kids so the rest of us can enjoy the meal, lol.
    gramsmom

Comment by gramsmom (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• heheheh hanburg is best thing for kids ..they will not feel dsmissed form that BBQ lollllllllllllllllll enjoyyyyyyyy
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 12:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2011