Is it wrong of us to go to the Jusitce of the Peace?

We have discussed planning a wedding and looking at possible ceremony sites, but it's all so stressfull and expensive. So just recently we had the idea to just go to the justice of the peace. We plan on telling our family and friends that we are going to do it, but that we don't want them up there bc in a year from now (after tax return) we would like to have a little reception and invite all of our friends and family. Is it wrong of us to just go to the justice of the peace? this is the first time either one of us is going to be married. his parents seemed ok when we casually mentioned the idea but i'm not sure about mine.

abannist

Asked by abannist at 12:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• It is YOUR wedding. You do what you want. There is nothing wrong with going to the JOP.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Nothing wrong with doing JOP. I personally don't think you should use your tax refund money next year to pay for a big party for everyone else to attend especially since the 2 of you will already be married.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• If I were your mom, I would be upset that you didn't want me to see you getting married. Does it cost extra to have guests watch the ceremony, is that why you don't want them there? If it does, maybe ask them if they'd be willing to front the extra cost to have them there, if you'd be willing to at least allow her to watch the wedding.

But no, it isn't wrong for you to want to go to JoP. My statements are purely my opinion and how *I* would feel if one of my 3 daughters, or son, came to me and told me they didn't want me to attend the actual ceremony.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I hope not, its what we did! :)
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I was married by a JP two years ago. It was my second wedding, though.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• They r going to want to be there no matter how u get married. Your Father will want to walk u down whatever aisle is there. U r is daughter and this is your first wedding. Your parents r going to want to be there. Then after,maybe go out to eat at a restaurant that does not have a drive thru.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Nothing wrong with it, and you can certainly have family there.

We have some good friends who did a court wedding months before their formal ceremony. Worked fine for them.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• We got married by a JOP. We wanted it to be just us and the baby in our living room but my family ruined my wedding day. They put up such a fight, pouted, whined, and bitched that we were 'excluding them'. It was MY day. I wanted it to be done MY way. I ended up caving because it just wasn't worth the fight and then my husband's family was offended. We couldn't win. If I could go back and do it again we would've gone down to the JOP in city hall and done it after work one day and THEN called everyoen to tell them.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 1:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No, LOL! That's what we did. Both of our parents were there. His brothers were there, and one of my sisters with her then hubby and their kids were there, too. Afterwards, we had a little reception at my mom and dads house. Had lunch and a wedding cake and all. It's you and your guy getting married. If someone gets a little hurt because you don't have a big wedding, then let them get hurt. Unless they want to pay for it themselves, then they really don't have a say, do they?
    I remember the JP saying someone needed to sign papers. My dad said to let the moms sign because they raised us right. My sister made a snarky comment, saying if they raised us right we wouldn't be getting married at the JOP. Well, um, we have been married 15 1/2 years. She got married in the church, and has been divorced for years now. Had a very unhappy marriage. So...WTF sis? We weren't supposed to make it, yet we did.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Doesn't matter where you get married is all.
    Raine2001