How do you feel with mother-in-law being in the delivery room?

My husband's mother brought up this very interesting question. She said it would be nice if she could be in the room while im giving birth to our second baby! I just passed the phone to my hubby. I was in shock. It's a little awquard. Her and I don't have the kind of relationship for that I don't think. We've had our 'moments' but she's very good at pretending nothing happened..but anyways ...what do you guys think?

Glendyra

Asked by Glendyra at 12:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I don't have that kind of relationship with mine either, but she was in the delivery room for our second son. It didn't bother me a bit, she was there to support him and he wanted it so it went just fine. She even cut the cord. Its not a big deal to me. Good luck.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I did not want my MIL in the room while I was having a baby. She kept trying to push her way in and get past nurses and I was screaming at them to keep her out! So, hence why she hates me mom and talks bad about my mom b/c I let my mom be in the room. She was so mad about the first time, that she still has yet to come meet baby #2.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I personally wouldn't care. if I have more children my MIL (who will be getting her first biological grand baby from us) WILL be there. I've had two kids in training hospitals with I couldn't even count how many people watching that I have never seen again. If my MIL wants to arm wrestle DH to see who catches and who cuts more power to them just don't get fussy with me lol
    Anonymous

• the only two people being in the room when i have my son are going to be my mom and husband
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 12:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think it should be up to u. Put your foot down! Do not let her call the shots. Tell your hubby to tell his mom that it is only going to be him and u,that is it!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My MIL was in the room with me and my husband when I gave birth to my first. She was a wonderful help. She kept me from pushing when I couldn't. I was very upset she couldn't be in the room with my second (she was ina different state) she and my FIL will be in the room with me when I give birth to my 3rd (in about 3 months) because hubby is in Afghanistan. It all depends on how confortable you are with your MIL in the room and the relationship you have with her.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I personally would never allow my MIL in the room. But, really this should be up to you. You are the that is going to be on display and doing all the work, so, you make the decision as to who you feel comfortable with. If you are not okay with the idea, let your DH know that you don't feel comfortable with her in there.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think it depends on your relationship with her and whether it would make you uncomfortable or not. The last thing you want while in labor is to be uncomfortable. The cervix is like the anus and only opens when relaxed so if you wouldn't take a dump with her in the room would you really feel comfortable having her watch you give birth?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No way would I want mine in there.
    cricketdawn81

Answer by cricketdawn81 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i'd never let her in there my husband and i discussed it and decided that we wouldn't have his or my mother in the room of course his words were "there were only two people there when she was made only two people (from the family) should be there when she comes out" i nearly died when he told me that and when his mom through a major fit (i mean it was short of her throwing herself to the ground and kicking and screaming) he looked her in the eye and said "mom if you weren't there in the bedroom with us why would you feel it necessary to be in the delivery room you've already told my wife you won't keep comments to yourself even after the birth" (5 minutes after surgery she said i looked like shit and why couldn't i do my make up now all of her pictures of me look horrible...i solved that problem by deleting them)
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 4:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2011