Is it fair?

is it fair when a biological father goes to the court to have his monthly child support reduced because his wife is having more kids than they can afford?

curious.. i think my ex is in the process of doing this. his wife is pregnant with their 2nd child, and he hasn't paid anything to the child we had in over a month. the payments are court ordered so he must be working somewhere under the table, because otherwise the payments are deducted automatically.

i've always wondered what others opinions are regarding this. should it be my problem or his when he decides to abandon his child, can barely make the payments as it is and knocks his wife up for the 2nd time?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• He should have to pay for all children. He needs to grow up and be a father.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• He has an obligation to your child regardless of how many he has now. Most judges will see that and still have him pay, especially if there were already agreements in place. His income is what matters not how many more children he has.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My ex and I have two children.. the courts said that they cannot reduce his Child support because he had another son with his gf now.. Because your children are older..his younger children shouldn't matter.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• no idea but i would like to know too so heres a bump
    Anonymous

• Most judges won't order it. Now, if it's because he has a lower paying job then when it was ordered, then he might be able to get a reduction but he can't get a reduction just cause he can't keep it in his pants
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• For those who say it should be ok for a man to get a reduction in child support just because he has another child, consider both of these: 1. if I have another child with my new DH should my ex have to pay more child support because now my income is helping to support 2 children? 2. If men are allowed to get child support lowered because they have another child, what's to stop them from having 10 kids and then not paying anything for any of them? If you can't afford another child with your child support (or supporting the child who lives with you), don't have another child!!!!!!!!
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I am going through this (I added a post about it) but it confuses me as to why anyone would think I should get less money for my DD, meaning I have to provide more because my ex is having another child. I mean I didn't control that, he did with his girlfriend so why am I the one footing the bill?
    Anonymous

• I hope that the court sees that it is irresponsible and not a reason to reduce the child support. Let us know.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Here in OH, the kids from the first relationship gets the most. They don't take from one to give to another.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I think you have to take a third party stance to answer this question..... In a married couple(2 parents living together) when one parent loses his/her job the other parent is forced to compensate and the quality of life/cost of living must decrease. So, to be fair...In a divorced/separated couple when one parent loses his/her job or takes a decrease in income the support patments should decrease.
    Now, if in the first instance another child is concieved that which is monetarily available for the first child is decreased (though the second child does not cost as much as the first, Id say about 75% of what was spent on the first child, and 50% for the 3rd and 4th, 25% for the following. They really are cheaper by the dozen.) This is of course assuming they are all in one house and items from one pregnancy/infancy etc. can be re-used.
    However, if there is more than one household to provide for than the first child in each ..
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2011