What age is good to transition to a toddler bed?

I was curious about some opinions on when you would or did transition your LO to a toddler bed. I am pregnant right now and we have been looking for a second crib, but we are having trouble finding one we can afford (we want one that can turn into a toddler so we in long run we save some money). I was thinking maybe we could put Sophie in a toddler bed when the new baby comes and the baby can have the crib. So I was just wanting some thoughts on this. Sophie will be 14 months when the new baby comes. I know it will take time to transition her but we plan on using the bassinet with the baby in our room for at least a few months anyways...

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 12:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the transition should not be too difficult as long as you don't surprise her with it. We talked to DS about it ahead of time and let him know that he was getting a big boy bed for his birthday. We let him sit on it and look it over when we put it up so he knew what to expect and then we just treated it like any other bedtime. He never got out of the bed on us and he went to sleep as soon as we left the room.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:10 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It may be easier than you're anticipating. My son has been sleeping in his own bed since he was one. He loved the idea of having his own bed in his room. I guess it made him feel like a big boy! To this day, there are still those nights that he comes into our bedroom and snuggles up between us. I do find that if one of us sleeps in his bed w/ him, he doesn't wake in the middle of the night. The same goes for when he actually goes to bed w/ us. In the beginning, it may help if one of you lay w/ her until she falls asleep (hopefully you don't fall asleep). After a while, she'll start falling asleep on her own. It's just a matter of her waking and staying there.
    LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Generally, when they start climbing out of the crib (or trying to), you should transition. You can go straight to a twin bed and save the money on a toddler bed. Toddler beds aren't really a necessary step, but buy a toddler rail for her bed, or put the mattress on the floor until she's used to it for safety. DS was about 18 months when we transitioned, and it was more that he was getting too heavy to keep lifting over the rail. He's not much of a climber. He did great, and actually slept better after the transition! His bed is one of the convertibles.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• when they are starting to crawl out of their crib, but typically around 2 is the transition to a toddler bed. I'm not far behind in the transition.
    good luck!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Thanks for the advice ladies! I think we are going to try the toddler bed for Sophie, I am thinking either 12 or 13 months....after looking at the price of a toddler bed compared to the price of the crib and your helpful answers I decided to do it. Now the only question is do I get the plain wood bed or the Disney princess bed? LOL
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Get a plain bed. My daughter grew out of the princess theme rather quickly!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 2:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011